Fuzz Face + Escobedo Bronx Cheer = FuzzBerry?

Started by Josh?, November 20, 2018, 01:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh?

Hey everyone! I know I've been gone for a month or two, but I finally had some time to mess around with a couple circuits, and yesterday I had an idea to combine Tim Escobedo's Bronx Cheer (http://www.diale.org/escobedo.html) with a fuzz face.  Here's a diagram I quickly whipped up to show you guys:

*The larger this resistor is, the less raspberry-like the fuzz is. Any value works fine, but I may make it lower than 68k.
**This is actually a 100k trimpot, but I think 82k is close enough.

I've tried replacing either transistor with a bronx cheer-like setup, and I prefer this one better. I think it sounds pretty cool on bass (like a cross between a regular fuzz and the bronx cheer), but it's a bit lacking on guitar, especially at lower gain settings, which is fine by me, cause I'm mostly a bassist. The Bronx Cheer part of it sounds a lot better with my tone knob all the way down, for some reason.

Right now it's just on a breadboard, and I'd love to hear any advice y'all have. Thanks!

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

sergiomr706

Great idea! Did you notice some bass frequencies lost? Input cap is 100n I tell you that  because lots of fuzzes changed to fuzz Ive seen, they had upped the input cap to 470n or 1uF

antonis

Nice ..!!  :icon_biggrin:

(I'd also try to bias BC184 with a singe resistor and place a cap in series with 47k feedback resistor - just because..  :icon_wink:)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on November 20, 2018, 08:33:28 AM
hmmm. any idea the hFE of your BC184?
Absolutely none..!!  :icon_mrgreen:

(any idea, even the slighest one, about the transistor(s) hFE on a Fuzzy circuit, simply kills imagination for the result..)  :icon_lol:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

turdadactyl

Josh?

Quote from: sergiomr706 on November 20, 2018, 04:25:13 AM
Did you notice some bass frequencies lost?

I didn't notice any low-end loss, but I wasn't listening super closely for it. It certainly adds a ton of higher frequencies, and making the caps around the MPSA13 larger tames that, but loses a bit of the sound of the original Bronx Cheer. When I have time to test a larger input cap i'll let you know.

Quote from: antonis on November 20, 2018, 05:46:28 AM
I'd also try to bias BC184 with a singe resistor and place a cap in series with 47k feedback resistor

Can I ask why you'd recommend both of these things? I'm interested in learning more about the science behind the things I'm building.

I'm not sure, but I know it has a relatively low hFE. Honestly, I just chose it because, in my very limited experience, they sound good with my bass. I do want to learn more, though, so why'd you ask?

Quote from: turdadactyl on November 20, 2018, 11:56:32 AM
Let's hear it!

Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy with Thanksgiving and all, but I'll try to record it sometime this week. Thanks for being interested!

antonis

Quote from: Josh? on November 20, 2018, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: antonis on November 20, 2018, 05:46:28 AM
I'd also try to bias BC184 with a singe resistor and place a cap in series with 47k feedback resistor
Can I ask why you'd recommend both of these things? I'm interested in learning more about the science behind the things I'm building.

You omited " - just because.." on your quotation .. :icon_wink:

I'm not fan of negative feedback bias (DC) for reasons beyond of present discussion but, in breef, it's more wise to have a more "steady" bias (in the degree of a single resistor bias configuration could be considered more steady than a NFB one)..
(MPSA13 is a very high DC gain device with almost unpredictable DC Emitter current/voltage.. Multiplying that with BC184 wide DC gain spread you can easily jump into muddy waters trying to find out the reason for Gain pot not overal pesponce - to name an imaginary issue..) :icon_wink:
So, placing a series cap to 47k feedback resistor you "cut off" DC feedback but you keep the benefits of AC NFB..

duck_arse

Quote from: Josh? on November 20, 2018, 04:50:09 PM

I'm not sure, but I know it has a relatively low hFE. Honestly, I just chose it because, in my very limited experience, they sound good with my bass. I do want to learn more, though, so why'd you ask?

...... and ........

Quote from: antonis on November 20, 2018, 09:12:49 AM
Absolutely none..!!  :icon_mrgreen:

(any idea, even the slighest one, about the transistor(s) hFE on a Fuzzy circuit, simply kills imagination for the result..)  :icon_lol:

I have recently been given some vrr low gain 2N2369's [thanks B.O.S.], and have been looking for something fuzz to build with them, something not a fuzzface, something I haven't built before, to fit a nearly ready box, max 3 knobs, no switches. when I saw the darlington I thought they might fit the bill, because, as the old saying goes ....

if you can't beta 'em, join 'em.

but - I couldn't get the bronx to raspberry in the first inst, and couldn't wangle the fuzzberry to bronx either.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on November 21, 2018, 07:59:38 AM
if you can't beta 'em, join 'em.
As far as that  :icon_twisted:&%$%*&:icon_evil: intrinsic emitter resistor re doesn't intrude to spoil  your joint..