NEW THEMES that you can try

Started by aron, April 30, 2018, 01:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

QuoteVipectus. Latin for paste it think
dolor asinum Is also latin
I read that somewhere and thought someone made that up after the fact.
Something like the history channel.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

stallik

Probably. There's a number of examples of this. I recall 2 professors trying to persuade the other of the origins of the K in CMYK. Key and Kartonstark were proposed till a student asked what the Chinese who invented printing called it.
Odd how the mind hangs on to such rubbish. I've no idea what the truthful answer is.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Rob Strand

QuoteProbably. There's a number of examples of this. I recall 2 professors trying to persuade the other of the origins of the K in CMYK. Key and Kartonstark were proposed till a student asked what the Chinese who invented printing called it. Odd how the mind hangs on to such rubbish.
I guess the root of the problem is treating speculation as fact. 

A simple example is when you debug a circuit.  You have to speculate what the problem is to get started.   You do some checks to see if that is true.  If it's true it gets fixed.  If not you have to think of something else and dump the current thinking.  The problem with historical issues is it's hard to get more data.  It just becomes a lot of self fulfilling prophecies based on "logical" connections that never existed in the first place.

QuoteI've no idea what the truthful answer is.
Me either.  Only the people at Xerox really know.
It's good to have a cynical view.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.