First Timer Boost Circuit Question

Started by davidaly46, May 02, 2018, 02:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidaly46

First time on the forum as I am in need of a bit of help! I've been working designing a OD pedal that has an integrated boost circuit. I would like it to feature a switch allowing the boost to be placed either before or after the drive. I am having trouble wiring up the switches so that there is full control over boost placement (toggle) and boost engagement (footswitch). I've tried looking at schematics online of popular pedals with this option but none contain the switch wiring diagrams. I would appreciate the help if someone has an example or even a block diagram. Thanks!

GibsonGM

Welcome to the forum, David! 

Let's leave this sitting here and see if a switch guru will come along to help.  I can picture a couple of ways, but they aren't very 'graceful' so I won't post them for you unless there are no other options!   I bet this problem has been solved before by sharper minds.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

nocentelli

Quote from: davidaly46 on May 02, 2018, 02:06:26 AMI would like it to feature a switch allowing the boost to be placed either before or after the drive. I am having trouble wiring up the switches so that there is full control over boost placement (toggle) and boost engagement (footswitch). I've tried looking at schematics online of popular pedals with this option but none contain the switch wiring diagrams.

Do you want the boost portion of the circuit to be operable independently of the overdrive circuit?

The diagram below shows three 3PDT switches. In this arrangement you could have a bypass/engage footswitch for the overdrive (top), another bypass/engage footswitch for the boost portion (bottom) and a toggle switch for the order of these two effects.

If you ONLY want the boost available when the overdrive is engaged and want a master bypass footswitch, you would omit the upper switch altogether, connecting the fxA "send" wire from the middle switch directly to the input of the drive circuit, and the output of the overdrive back to the return of the middle order switch. The lower, boost bypass switch should remain as drawn. You would then need to use a 3PDT bypass footswitch to bypass the order switch using the "pedal input" and "pedal output" connections.

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

davidaly46

Quote from: nocentelli on May 02, 2018, 10:29:31 AM
Quote from: davidaly46 on May 02, 2018, 02:06:26 AMI would like it to feature a switch allowing the boost to be placed either before or after the drive. I am having trouble wiring up the switches so that there is full control over boost placement (toggle) and boost engagement (footswitch). I've tried looking at schematics online of popular pedals with this option but none contain the switch wiring diagrams.

Do you want the boost portion of the circuit to be operable independently of the overdrive circuit?

The diagram below shows three 3PDT switches. In this arrangement you could have a bypass/engage footswitch for the overdrive (top), another bypass/engage footswitch for the boost portion (bottom) and a toggle switch for the order of these two effects.

If you ONLY want the boost available when the overdrive is engaged and want a master bypass footswitch, you would omit the upper switch altogether, connecting the fxA "send" wire from the middle switch directly to the input of the drive circuit, and the output of the overdrive back to the return of the middle order switch. The lower, boost bypass switch should remain as drawn. You would then need to use a 3PDT bypass footswitch to bypass the order switch using the "pedal input" and "pedal output" connections.

I will give this a try, thanks for the help!