The Aluminum Tariff Bites

Started by smallbearelec, April 24, 2018, 05:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thermionix

Shipped to your residence, right?

italianguy63

Yes.. But, it is also my business address.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

merlinb

Quote from: Rob Strand on April 24, 2018, 09:00:16 PM
I think it's a good thing.
I think we just figured out who owns shares in an aluminum plant...  ;)

thermionix

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 27, 2018, 12:21:34 AM

I understand, I just don't see tariffs being collected by FedEx drivers at people's homes.  Not in the US anyway.  COD, postage due, but not tariffs, or import duties.  Do we even have import duties?  I've never paid any, but I don't get international shipments very often.

italianguy63

Like I asked before... I think there is probably some limit (let's make up a figure $400) to which under is considered personal use, and it exempt.  Like the bottle of liquor you allowed to purchase on a cruise.

BTW-- if you go "over" your cruise allotment just claim the purchase to Customs and they will calculate your "duty" -- and it is very small.  I've done this before, they calculated the fee-- and then waived that because the amount was so small.

What I am saying is-- I think unless you are importing very large amounts of product-- you are off the radar.  That's my guess.  Only conjecture.  Small Bear may have ordered a pallet.  I only ordered $45 bucks worth.

Take my opinion for what it is worth -- nothing/it's free!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Quote from: thermionix on April 27, 2018, 03:59:27 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on April 27, 2018, 12:21:34 AM

I understand, I just don't see tariffs being collected by FedEx drivers at people's homes.  Not in the US anyway.  COD, postage due, but not tariffs, or import duties.  Do we even have import duties?  I've never paid any, but I don't get international shipments very often.

Actually.  I have once.  I purchased some nice-hand made pottery in Italy once (Florence).  It was pretty expensive-- call it $400.  It was too big and fragile to take on the plane, so I had it shipped.

It arrived at the house in this huge (Mil-Spec) plywood box.  I still have the box!  I may post a pic.  Anyway, attached to it was a Custom's duty form.  I believe it was UPS, and they had to collect around $80 from me before they would release it to me.  This was a long time ago...

MC

thermionix

Right on.  I've probably never received anything valued over $30.  Small potatoes.  But still, import duties and tariffs are two different things.  Neither of which I know anything about, obviously.

italianguy63

Quote from: thermionix on April 27, 2018, 04:30:32 AM
Right on.  I've probably never received anything valued over $30.  Small potatoes.  But still, import duties and tariffs are two different things.  Neither of which I know anything about, obviously.

I'm with you.  Very little experience.  I just pay what they say I owe.

MC

thermionix

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 27, 2018, 04:31:33 AM
I just pay what they say I owe.

I just hide in the basement and don't answer the door.

italianguy63

Quote from: thermionix on April 27, 2018, 04:34:06 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on April 27, 2018, 04:31:33 AM
I just pay what they say I owe.

I just hide in the basement and don't answer the door.

But, then you don't get your eagerly awaited stuff.

And, about that box from Italy.  Picture the big box from "A Christmas Story" that the leg lamp came in.  It even had in big letters "FRAGILE" or in Italian - "Frage-Jill-Aye" stenciled on the side.  I really laughed out loud.  But, not so much for the extra $80 ding-- since I had prepaid in Italy for it to be shipped.

MC

Rob Strand

QuoteI think we just figured out who owns shares in an aluminum plant...  ;)
I never do things for selfish reasons.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on April 27, 2018, 04:30:32 AM
But still, import duties and tariffs are two different things. 
I always thought it was just a difference in spelling.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

LiLFX

Quote from: smallbearelec on April 24, 2018, 05:06:28 PM
Regular readers here will know that your chief Bear is a political animal (!) mostly in private and among like-minded li-bear-tarian/Classical Liberal/"Constitutionalist" comrades. Nonetheless, trade-related issues occasionally rear their ugly heads and give me cause for expressing some growliness publicly.

I just received the Customs declaration for our most recent shipment of B-size and 125-B-size enclosures. The present administration's 10% tariff on Aluminum does apply, and is reflected in increased posted pricing for these items. I hope that the tariff is temporary and does not represent the beginning of a mutually-destructive walling-off of economies.

SD

Ain't America feeling great.....again?    :icon_rolleyes:

greaser_au

Do they offer a refund on the tariff for re-exported  goods?

The US is not alone in the "let's ream the buying public" games.
Small personal imports to Australia for everything (legal) except nicotine and alcohol, of up to AUD$1000 in value have been exempt from import duty and taxes.
As of 1st July 2018, 10% GST (goods and services tax, like the UK's VAT)  will be imposed on all international purchases. it's up to people like e-bay to collect and remit it.
They are also discussing a 'security levy' of around  AUD$5  for customs to check all packages at the border.

If it's bad trying to buy from the US & UK down under now,  it's about to get a lot worse.

david

SpencerPedals

Quote from: smallbearelec on April 24, 2018, 05:06:28 PM
...I just received the Customs declaration for our most recent shipment of B-size and 125-B-size enclosures. The present administration's 10% tariff on Aluminum does apply, and is reflected in increased posted pricing for these items...

It was my understanding that the aluminum (and steel) tariffs affected raw aluminum imports, but not downstream products—at least directly.  I heard an interviewed keg manufacturer talk about how this affects the import of raw material, but would not affect the import of the actual kegs themselves from overseas.  Does anyone have information about why stompboxes, clearly a downstream product, would not be considered a downstream product?

garcho

The US has always had tariffs, since the Constitution became law of the land in 1789. The last 80 years or so have seen a steady decline in revenue raised from tariffs, thanks to globalization. This isn't new and it has nothing to do with the constitution. It does have everything to do with cheap, shallow, identity politics and modern Americans' distaste for pragmatism.

I will certainly be willing to pay 10% more for enclosures if that means Small Bear can continue to operate the way it does. Niche suppliers in the age of Ebay/Amazon are priceless. It sucks to have less money in your pocket but such is life.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

deadastronaut

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 26, 2018, 01:45:15 PM
I got my enclosure order today...  No tariff! 

Shipped via FEDEX.  Maybe I lucked out because the manifest said "die cast enclosures" and not specifically aluminum??

MC

my last order via fed ex was delivered, fine, guy says nothing...he walks off... , 2 weeks later i got a 'duty' fee to pay..... :(  just a heads up man..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

italianguy63

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 01, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
Quote from: italianguy63 on April 26, 2018, 01:45:15 PM
I got my enclosure order today...  No tariff! 

Shipped via FEDEX.  Maybe I lucked out because the manifest said "die cast enclosures" and not specifically aluminum??

MC

my last order via fed ex was delivered, fine, guy says nothing...he walks off... , 2 weeks later i got a 'duty' fee to pay..... :(  just a heads up man..

NOW, I will hide in the basement like Thermionix!!!

;D

MC

thermionix

Everbody knows there are no basements in Florida.  Until that day when the ground opens up and converts your whole house into a basement.  Yes, even the planet hates Jimmy Buffett fans.