How increase the quality of my pedals

Started by Elijah-Baley, May 08, 2018, 05:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thermionix

I remember it, barely.  Chimps beating OJ Simpson with sticks, right?

reddesert

I don't design or repair effects professionally, nor am I a roadie.  Yet IMO, board mounted jacks are more of a problem, board mounted pots less so.  Jacks see more force in normal use. Board mounting pots makes DIY projects much easier especially since many DIY projects have a lot of knobs (4 knobs = wiring 12 pot terminals, while wiring 4 jack terminals isn't that big a deal).

thermionix

Quote from: reddesert on May 16, 2018, 07:47:16 PM
Yet IMO, board mounted jacks are more of a problem, board mounted pots less so.  Jacks see more force in normal use.

Yeah definitely, cables get more serious tugs than knobs do.  Of course it all depends on how things are used.  A single pedal on the floor will get dragged around by the guitar cable, stepped on by the singer, etc.  A pedal mounted in the middle of a tidy pedalboard won't get that kind of abuse.

chromesphere

You can honestly improve the quality (look and feel) and reliability of your pedals substantially by spending only an extra few dollars on proven reliable hardware.

Grub screws in plastic knobs can thread out without much effort ("economy" clone knobs) causing the knob to spin on the pot shaft, the knob is a throw away.   They move around and are far too delicate in my opinion.

For audio jacks I never understood why people buy cheap low quality audio jacks to save 50c or whatever, they take a lot of mechanical stress.  This could be something we learn with experience, I recall a few incidences myself with economy jacks :-X  I never touch these jacks anymore, not even if I'm in a pinch.  They don't last and can fail (internal shorting of the pressed metal wafers, a real headache to fault diagnose as well).

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

ljudsystem

:icon_lol: that was hilarious! They never ran that on swedish tv when I grew up!

ElectricDruid

There's probably someone doing user analysis at Youtube who's baffled by the sudden spike in hits for an ancient commercial featuring a gorilla and a suitcase!

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Posted by: PRR
QuoteQUITE a few years. Maybe before some folks here were born. So here it is again:

The US is shocking for luggage damage.   Some of the aluminum cases for our medical equipment were completely destroyed in the US.    In one case the entire corner was indented about 30mm.  It was along the 45deg line on all axes of the corner.  That's very hard to do, to the point where I suspect it was done deliberately.  Fortunately the equipment was surrounded by 100mm of high density polyurethane foam.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ljudsystem