Something for the weekend...

Started by Greek Acrobat, November 09, 2003, 07:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Acrobat

I'm trying to build a rediculous pedal. I'm wanting to make a fuzz with the most amount of gain I can get from it. Basically something that will destroy all evidence of tone and definition - something purely evil.

What do you reckon the best and simplest way of doing this is? I've been mucking around with op amps recently so I'm thinking about stringing a whole bunch of them together (nothing pretty). Would that work? Any reason why this is a bad idea?

I just want something quick for a bit of fun and maybe scare some bandmembers while I'm at it.  :D
d a e r h t a y b g n u h

Marcos - Munky

A six stage CMOS 4049 fuzz. Check Ansil site.

petemoore

If you havent tried building one, mine can sound quite wickedly evil.
 The sonic mayhem in this buggar is like straight out of a science project [movie that hasn't been released yet] that began releasing gamma and electrons that would fry anyone within the proximity. Yes Quite nasty indeed [well can do 'other' trixx's' like sound 'sorta 'normal'/over the top fuzz]. Octave down [twice?] VCF 'ing' and mucho etc.
 Driving many oa's to boost up signal? I would try it on a breadboard first. Boost is cool up to a point [the point where the amps input sezz 'nuff already' and chokes. Boosting can shape the wave nicely [driving a tube amp].
 I'v e put two boostere in a row, and that gets a fuzzy sound.  But if I were building a seriesed of OA boosters, I would just make it possible to trim the third andor fourth one  with byapssers...never tried three myself but read that three LPB's can get pretty loud and distorted.
 I also read where OA distortion can be cool or not, some prefer the dist character of transistors [well just look at all the Q distorters schematics].
 Shaping the wave is what causes the distortion, and usually I'm using driven Q's or Diode clipping to get that, OA"s may sound pretty rude and unlikable [IMO] when driven to distort....of course it all depends [on what it depends on...my big brother used to say].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Greek Acrobat

Marcos - Munky

Hey Pete, sounds very cool. Sorry, I don't remember the address.

Greek Acrobat

Err, found this:

Would this distort more than the op amp itself? What diodes would I use?

petemoore

Has the Uglyface...if that's what Munky was asking...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Marcos - Munky

I have the schematic for the six stage CMOS 4049 fuzz here in my PC. If you want, send me a e-mail and I send it to you.

Kilby

Well the foxx tone machine (O have the danelectro french toast) can do a reasionable job on fizz and destroying all that unwanted guitar based done when all the knobs are turned to max.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Greek AcrobatErr, found this:

Would this distort more than the op amp itself? What diodes would I use?

That's a lot like one of my designs...  basically it amplifies your signal then destroys it with diodes, which can be driven by the amplified signal... however, I tend to like how it self oscillates and makes noise in this way:

-Colin[/img]

Marcos - Munky

Greek Acrobat

Thanks Marcos, I think that's two schematics you've sent me this week.

Cheers!  :D
Paul.

Ansil

http:/www.geocities.com/austenfantanio/sexinverter.htm
forgot about this one, so i remade the page for it.  i really need to get organized.   the original drawing is on the bottom.  i had lost this one, for a while.  it does some diode clipping as well , and the values aren't set in stone. i was goin to wire it up to a dip switch section sort of like the sansamp.

Ansil

hey collin,   i like the parrallel universe.  but i had a question..  wouldn't it be better to put a 1k pot between pins 1 and eight.   cause the 10k won't really do anything untill it is below 1.35k.  cause that is the value of resistance between the two pins.   also for a hotter sound you can take the output directly off of the no eight pin.