Non-working EHX Big Muff V2

Started by Gallagher90, May 17, 2018, 05:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricDruid

If you've got signal at the collector of the first transistor, but not at the middle pin of the sustain pot, that's definitely *not* the transistor that's at fault.
It could still be the sustain pot. have you tried desoldering its connections? Joints get old and cracked sometimes. Otherwise the pot
could be knackered (not that unlikely) or C4 could be at fault (possible, but less likely).
You need to get a pretty reliable signal at the middle pin of the sustain pot (when it's turned up, obviously) before you can move on much further.

HTH,
Tom

Gallagher90

Ok thanks.

Well before I changed the faulty can-cap which was the last cap before the volume pot the signal went trough the board flawlessly and both the sustain and tone pot worked and so did all other components but now 3 weeks later after I changed the faulty can-cap the signal don't flow trough the sustain pot any more...

I'll try recharge the battery firstly if that could make any differens...

All soldering points of the pot are good but perhaps the ''house'' of the cap is bad. I could change it to the house from my '78 envelope filter if needed...

Gallagher90

Ok so I charged the battery now and I got signal all the way trough the board so the pedal seems to ''work'' but it drops the volume with at least 50% when turned on and that can't be right. I know the Electric Mistress is famous for a little volume drop but this is extreme.

The battery is now fully charges so the problem can't lay there. Any suggestions people?

The ground wire from the battery looked a bit torn in the soldering from when I lifted the board but it has contact..

Kevin Mitchell

There's a level pot, ya know  :icon_mrgreen:

If you think there's another issue then use the audio probe again. Find where the signal drops and inspect the area.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Gallagher90

I've put all pots on full but I'll check the pedal with the probe later today and resolder the ground cable and we'll see...