Identifying pedal

Started by rangermaster, April 05, 2021, 08:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangermaster

Hi. I need some help identifying this pedal for a customer. I only have this photo but maybe some of you wonder people know which pedal or parts this is ?

It's a full range treble booster with a gain and freq. control

Thanks.

iainpunk

Quotea full range treble booster
this cracked me up!
a booster i guess would be the correct name.

the transistor looks really shadily put in there, just hanging about...

i dont't recognize the inside, do you have pics of the outside?

cheers. Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

anotherjim

I think it's a Rangemaster. The Tone pot adds a larger cap across the normal small input cap so it turns from treble to all boost. It's a common enough mod.

Is the tip contact spring of the output jack likely to short on the back of the pot when a plug is in?

rangermaster

I don't have any other photos. Only this.

So if this could be a rangemaster with a mod.. is there a schematic for this?

rangermaster

Ok maybe i'll try something else.

What i modify a OC44 pnp (positive ground) rangemaster to a full range treble boost( how do i do this ? Just change input cap?(which value)

I'm also thinking about replacing the OC44 with a OC71 tranny so i'll keep the OC44 for a rangemaster build again.

idy

Lots of people have added a choice of inout cap to a rangemaster. Sometimes with a switch, put a blend pot works also. Stock input cap is 15n, people add a 33n in parallel to get 48n. BYOC has a "tribooster" with this on the Ge booster. But these switches pop a lot.

Check out the idea on Small Bear's "oh my darlington."
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/OhMyDarlingRM/OhMyDarling.htm
Here the two caps are in parallel, but there is a 250kC pot wired as a variable resistor in front of the bigger cap. His values are different from RMaster because the transistor(s) are different impedance. You would be best trying caps out, maybe even using a smaller than stock value and a really big one...

potul

Quote from: rangermaster on April 09, 2021, 11:12:11 AM

What i modify a OC44 pnp (positive ground) rangemaster to a full range treble boost( how do i do this ? Just change input cap?(which value)

I'm also thinking about replacing the OC44 with a OC71 tranny so i'll keep the OC44 for a rangemaster build again.
"full range treble boost" sounds like an oxymoron to me....

ElectricDruid

Quote from: iainpunk on April 05, 2021, 03:07:27 PM
the transistor looks really shadily put in there, just hanging about...

+1 agree. Couldn't they have at least put a bit of insulation on the legs? If I haven't got anything better, I just steal a bit from some  wire that's slightly fatter than the legs I need to cover and slide it over. Easy!

That transistor looks like a short waiting to happen.

Renegadrian

Quote from: rangermaster on April 09, 2021, 11:12:11 AM

just search for the texas twang, npn rangemaster with 3 pos switch for input cap.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!