Help me select some Russian transistors from Small Bear's site.

Started by Burstbucker, May 28, 2018, 08:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

I plan on building a couple more Fuzz Face pedals, I've already built up a fairly large Fuzz Face collection in which probably a third of them are DIY.

Call me crazy but I just love these things....as primitive as they are.....  I thought that I hit my limit but now there are two more that I'm thinking about.

The "theme" this time is all about Russian transistors, primarily those ultra cool/whacky - looking flat hat or flying saucer germaniums.

I might build them in separate boxes or combine them into one bigger box, with two footswitches, one footswitch to turn the effect on and off and the second switch to select which fuzz to use.

I want to build a pretty low gain germanium Fuzz Face, something to approximate the Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face.  The other fuzz would be a higher gain germanium Fuzz Face.

I plan on getting my transistors from Steve Daniels over at Small Bear Electronics.  So if you're at all familiar with the Russian PNP Germanium Transistors listed over at Small Bear, which transistors would you recommend for these two Fuzz Faces that I want to build?

Preferably PNP.....and extra points for those whacky flying saucer jobbies.   Lol

diffeq

МП20 (MP20), МП25 (MP25), МП40 (MP40), МП42 (MP42) are much sought after. ГТ308 (GT308) is used too.
If you want a low gain one, look for last letter index, they are sorted in three ranges.
Ranges for GT308:
А (a): gain 25 - 75;
Б (b): gain 50 - 120;
B (v): gain 80 - 150;

Burstbucker