News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Okay sub?

Started by rutabaga bob, June 01, 2018, 05:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutabaga bob

Can I use a LM224 in place of a LM324?  Would it cause any issues?  Thanks!
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

GibsonGM

What circuit are you thinking of using it in, Larry?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

rutabaga bob

Building an 'Alien Screamer' noise box for one of my kids...

pinkjimiphoton

socket that puppy lar, sending you a bunch tomorrow bro ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

GibsonGM

Yup, I'd pop it right in. I doubt it needs all the fancier and better features the 324 offers! 

Often a chip is chosen for things like low current draw for use in an oscillator (TL064 in Easyvibe, for example)...but in 'noise' circuits, they're pretty much all fair game! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PRR

> I doubt it needs all the fancier and better features the 324 offers!

The reverse. The LM224 is "better than we need" and costs more (or used to). It will replace LM324 and you can now play in the deep-freeze or the oven (if your other parts survive, particularly your fingers...)

The _3_ is commercial temperature range, and is good enough for anything you would be in the same room with. The _2_ is the higher-price industrial temp range, good for places you do not want to hang out. The _1_ is Military temp rating; war is hell and this is rated for more heat/cold than the others. (Remember radar stations above the Arctic Circle, as well as hi-power jeep radios in faraway deserts.)

We only need the _3_ grade. The _2_ costs more; or "should". The Military paid a steep premium for _1_ grade parts. Of course all those unsold hi-grade parts may be on close-out pricing now.

And many users have long suspected that mature parts are 90+% _1_ (Military) grade; that the numbers are just the price that each market will bear. Though of course any parts that bubble in the 125C test will just be sold as 2 or 3 grade parts.

• SUPPORTER

rutabaga bob

Thanks for the replies!  You guys know the stuff I only WISH I knew!
Jimi, that socket is in there, man!  All is wired and ready!
Paul, I appreciate your explanation!
Cheers, all!