Flat connectors (height < 5mm)?

Started by KarenColumbo, June 03, 2018, 02:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

Dear builders, I always try to keep cable mayhem at a minimum by laying out PCBs so that I can connect as many peripherals (pots, switches) as possible directly to the board. In many cases (single sided boards) I'm lacking the skills and patience to achieve this. So I use those (Molex?) connectors which take up almost 20mm vertical space (plus 3mm for the socket base). They're handy and lock to the board part so they're quite save to use in a "live" environment - if they weren't as bulky as they are.
Recently I did a 7 knob thing in a special hammond enclosure which is a bit deeper 35mm without lid) than the usual 1590ies (25mm), a 1590TRPC. Even with this depth I ran into problems cramming all that stuff inside. Didn't fit by 2, 3 mm.

The connectors I use are these: https://www.musikding.de/PCB-Connectors (I think they're called "KK-Series" by Molex)

I searched the usual suspects (Big C, Reichelt, RS Components) but to no avail - pretty much the same everywhere. I could save a mm or two by replacing the socket with a pin strip, sacrificing the locking mechanism. But there's still to much vertical space used up by the sheer height of the connectors.

How would you go about this? Which brand/type of connectors do you use?
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

italianguy63

They make a 90 degree bend header strip... so the strip lays flat on the PCB.  But, it will eat real estate.  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

KarenColumbo

Thx! Yeah, I thought about that - but, as you say, those 90 degrees versions require a lot of keep-out area :(
I even mused that I could use break-away sockets as jacks - but they'd be a bitch to solder and will almost certainly turn out too flimsy to be of any long term (ab-)use.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

diffeq

As Mark said, there are right-angled connectors out there. These are smallest I could find (height 3mm):

but they don't have any locking mechanism whatsoever.
I was designing a CV sequencer some time ago and at the time was considering routing all the peripherals to one of those IDC connectors, either angled or not:

They are mated with a ribbon cable connector, very solid locking and you don't have to strip wires for one end - just snapping the ribbon into the "spiked" trap:

but then again, it's not always possible to route the PCB like that, and keeping track of what goes where is a b*tch too.

KarenColumbo

Thx for that - looks promising ... if I hadn't a bunch of already-made boards that I can't change now :) But now that you've posted these I seem to remember those old IDE connectors in PCs. they have "walled-up" receptacles like those in your pic and ribbon cable with a very flat jack at the end to push in. Now to find those - in 2, 3 and 5 pin variants :(
A side note: I would glady get rid of the locking mechanism if need must - there's always a blob of hot glue available if it seems critical
  • SUPPORTER

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER

italianguy63

In the future, you could design you PCBs so ALL of the off board connectors are all in one place.  Then use a single connector for all the connections; place the connector on the PCB edge (say, the free edge away from the enclosure).  More work, but would be a clean look.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Quote from: KarenColumbo on June 03, 2018, 03:33:11 AM
*thinking*

I've stacked headers like that in the past.  Did it when I was testing different home built vactrols in an envelope filter!  MC

KarenColumbo

Quote from: italianguy63 on June 03, 2018, 03:33:17 AM
In the future, you could design you PCBs so ALL of the off board connectors are all in one place.  Then use a single connector for all the connections; place the connector on the PCB edge (say, the free edge away from the enclosure).  More work, but would be a clean look.

MC
You're so right here. Well, since I abandoned etching in favour of AllPCB who're shipping free of charge right now I guess I will do as you say and route connection to the edge of the board. Shame about those already made boards ... but that's the price of learning.
  • SUPPORTER

italianguy63

As I've said before.. our work becomes somewhat like our fingerprint.  Each of us design and do things a little different.   :icon_mrgreen:

I have recently been going through and "remaking" all of my PCBs.  Fixing little glitches, changing component footprints,  moving wiring closer to where it goes (to get rid of wire clutter), and switching to on PCB pots... It is a lot of work.  But, YES, you do learn as you go!  I learn a little every day.

MC

smallbearelec

Quote from: KarenColumbo on June 03, 2018, 02:27:38 AM
The connectors I use are these: https://www.musikding.de/PCB-Connectors (I think they're called "KK-Series" by Molex)

I use Molex SPOX:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/molex-headers-and-assemblies-1/

They are not insulation-displacement, so you have to find a way to make/get made terminated leads. The manual tool is ridiculously expensive, so I found a cable shop that has the die needed to crimp by machine:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/pre-terminated-3-5-inch-leads/

and there are many shops that do this.

KarenColumbo

Quote from: smallbearelec on June 03, 2018, 06:11:05 PM
Quote from: KarenColumbo on June 03, 2018, 02:27:38 AM

I use Molex SPOX:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/molex-headers-and-assemblies-1/

They are not insulation-displacement, so you have to find a way to make/get made terminated leads. The manual tool is ridiculously expensive, so I found a cable shop that has the die needed to crimp by machine:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/pre-terminated-3-5-inch-leads/

and there are many shops that do this.

Sturdy, those :) Thought about 'em, too, came to the same conclusion - an investment that will be hard to return in time since I don't really sell what I build. also, they're still a bit too big for most of the tinier boards. Shame, cause the connection of those looks rock solid
  • SUPPORTER