bass compression/limiting project advice sought

Started by pinkjimiphoton, June 06, 2018, 05:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: samhay on June 07, 2018, 06:01:07 AM
Quote from: EBK on June 07, 2018, 12:24:29 AM
If you try everything you've come up with so far and still fail, I can let you borrow the compressor I use with my bass.  It is a fairly complicated circuit based on a THAT 4316, but I have built it on vero and can give you the layout.  Schematic and details are at the following link, and it is very transparent and excellent with bass, in my opinion (it is always on in my setup): http://www.thatcorp.com/pedals/4316%20Battery-Powered%20One%20Knob%20Squeezer.pdf

I think a few of us would be interested in seeing this...
4316 is not available in DIP package right? Did you use an a adapter board?

i thought i saw 4316 at futurelec last nite with dip packaging, but i may be wrong. i just discovered them last nite when i was doing a parts order with mouser for the ludwig pII project ehman worked up a BOM project for... ronnie, i love ya man, you rock!!!.... and some of the shit is "end of life" and backordered so i looked for replacement parts elsewhere and i was surprised how much shit was a pain to find at the usual places was easy there.

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

just heard back from julian with the pumpernickel... he suggests the full kit, which is reasonable... and asks 18 euro plus 8 euro shipping, which i think is around 36 bux american just for the board. wayyyyy too much for me to spend on this.
i don't wanna build rog a damn cadillac if a buick is all he needs!! lol

so far, looking at stuff,  so far, i think sam's light speed may win. i HAVE all the components here, and tho it may not be as fancy, i can build it for under 20 bux, which considering rog will hem and haw and argue the whole way to probably never use it,  <so i get stuck with it> i don't mind the investment.

and i find well laid out vero's intensly sexy for some reason, soo....

thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys. ;)

i def prefer to solve this issue with a pedal vs all other ideas. lets me earn my keep, too! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Tubebass

As a sound guy/bassist, I'd probably be trying to solve this with EQ. If it was just one resonance, pulling down a band or two on a 1/3 octave graphic EQ would likely help. However, you're telling us that it seems to be multiple resonances, so the only choice might be to pull out the entire low end, from say 300 hz on down. Perhaps this could be accomplished partly by running a bass head through a really small speaker, like a 6 or 8 inch. Maybe even rolling the bass knob way down on his regular bass amp would help. Might sound like shit on stage, but be at least bearable in the room.
      Good luck!
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

pinkjimiphoton

thanks dave, i agree. the room is an accoustic nitemare!

we tried rolling off the bottom on his amp, and its so wimped at that point
we can't even hear it over the drums.

just a weird scene. i think the key is clamping the volume just below the volume the room begins to howl at. thats why i'm thinking compressor, won't affect his tone as much, just keep the peaks down to hopefully control the resonances a little.

its literally maybe a 100 ohm spread on a 100k pot between too loud and disappearing. crazy!

we don't wanna add a lot of gear, the pa is actually behind us so we don't need to have to set up monitors. the idea is simple.. keep everything under the vocals. basically, "if you can't hear yourself sing, you're too f'n loud". in THIS room, it works. usually.

the room LOVES vocals. basses? not so much. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

samhay

>so far, looking at stuff,  so far, i think sam's light speed may win.

I think you'll probably find some use for it.
The rotary switch is overkill and and I would pick 2 or 3 caps for the attack timing - maybe 100n, 1u and 10u - and use an on-off-on toggle. You probably wouldn't miss the middle setting either if you use a 2 position switch.
I wouldn't build it with the indicator - that's just the daughter board in the vero layout - as it was causing some problems with noise.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

pinkjimiphoton

haha funny, i was just looking at it and reading the page, and printed the schems and vero layout. i was gonna ask you about the switch and values, and you read my mind.

yeah, i don't need a comp light. so thanks for saving me that !

i gotta leave in about an hour and a half for my thursday nite gig.... 5 years now!!... and have a mr multi from dino and phil at deadendfx about half populated, so hopefully this weekend i'll get some free build time.

its likely best when i return from the bar at 3 am if i don't touch anything too fragile lol ;)

thanks  bro!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr