News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Wiring help

Started by Pedalman1985, June 07, 2018, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedalman1985

I have a mammoth mini buffered boost pedal I built but can't figure how to wire the input jack with three solder points?

idy

Usually that is a "stereo" or "tip, ring, sleeve" jack. The tip takes the signal from your cable to the board (or the footswitch). The sleeve goes to the ground (wherever you are sticking the grounds from the board and jacks and etc (LED?) together.) The ring in between goes from the negative of the battery and/or the negative of the power jack. Thus no power until the input jack is plugged in, shorting the power ground to the common ground. Capice?

chromesphere

Quote from: Pedalman1985 on June 07, 2018, 08:17:02 PM
I have a mammoth mini buffered boost pedal I built but can't figure how to wire the input jack with three solder points?

Hi pedalman, google "guitar pedal offboard wiring" and check in google images.  You should find plenty of results that show the wiring for the stereo jack.

Cheers
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

antonis

Quote from: idy on June 07, 2018, 09:42:16 PM
Capice?
:icon_biggrin: :icon_lol: :icon_biggrin:
Maybe that helps as universal translator..

edit: It definately needs resizing.. :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Poster size!! 

All you need to be careful of, Pedalman, is making sure you do not confuse the input jack TIP (which carries your signal) and the "RING", which often switches to ground when no plug is inserted.   Sleeve is...the sleeve/barrel part that is always grounded for this scheme.   You can test the parts with your meter.   

I used to slide a guitar pick in between "ring" and "sleeve" switch to make sure of those 2 tabs, LOL.  You get continuity, then put the pick in there, and no continuity.   No continuity between either and "Tip".   Not all stereo jacks are like this, though - some do not switch.

Welcome to the forum! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Pedalman1985

I was able to get it right thanks. What parts would I need to make this a brown sound pedal?