Who knows where I can get dc input jacks rated for 18/24v

Started by Max999, June 07, 2018, 11:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max999

I have been reading all the datasheets of dc connectors( what a life :) )and they are allmost all rated for 12v .. I found one version from Lumberg that is rated for 24v, but it does not do the battery/adapter switch trick.

I see a lot of these dc jacks with switch used for 18v though, and I must say I have used them for 42v even in the past before I knew the ratings. Measuring the creepage distance on regular dc jacks gives me 0.6mm ( 0.0235") which should do 30v safely.

But as an easy way out: Anybody know where I can find 18 or 24v rated dc jacks?

blackieNYC

At the kind of low current draw we have in pedal land, you'll be fine. Unless you are selling your pedal to a hospital or a lawyer.  Do you feel a legal obligation?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Marcos - Munky

I didn't ever knew dc jacks have input maximum voltages! :icon_lol:

GGBB

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on June 08, 2018, 12:25:44 AM

Me neither. Now I have an answer for all those "Can I run 'x' at 18V?" posts.
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on June 08, 2018, 12:25:44 AM

Now I need to take one and dial it up, see what it does at 60V, 100V  :)   

I'd think there's be no ARC DANGER (!) until you get to 100s of volts...the real question is how much current can you draw thru the contacts before they melt!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Max999

@blackieNYC I feel no legal obligation because the standards for creepage distance show it is safe,my gut feeling says they had an issue rating the dc jacks because they did not know under which conditions ( pollution levels) they would be used, so they were conservative.

@GibsonGM they should take a lot more then the  approved 30v when they are clean and dry, so I think you will be fine at 60v. The issue is that over time dust settles which becomes conductive when coming into contact with condensation ( atleast this is the theory used by the ratings).
Sounds like a job for the variac to see when they arc ;)

GibsonGM

...and at what current....as most of our pedals are running on say, 10mA....I would be amazed if there were a problem at 20 or 30V, 10mA.   They do have to draw a line somewhere, though!   Probably 10x less than where they found it failed.   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...