2 Pole 3 Position Rotary for Jext Telez White Pedal

Started by natron_mn, June 12, 2018, 01:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natron_mn

I'm going to be working on the Jext Telez White Pedal using Effects Layouts' layout.

It calls for a DPDT On-On-On switch to switch between three capacitors. I'd like to make the pedal close to the original, which used a rotary switch, so I picked up a 2 pole 3 position rotary switch. I've never used a rotary in a build before, so I'm wondering how this corresponds to a DPDT on-on-on switch. Or did I get the wrong rotary?!

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2018/03/jext-telez-white-pedal.html

mth5044

Do you have the schematic? It is difficult to tell how it's supposed to be wired from that layout.

If all you're doing is switching between 3 caps, you shouldn't have a problem with your rotary. Do you have a link to the one you bought?

mth5044

I can't seem to find the data sheet for that exact model to explain how the mugs connect, but most rotary switches like that are the same. IF it is actually a 2 pole 3 position rotary, the lush should look like the schematic drawing in this link:

http://hackaweek.com/hacks/?attachment_id=925

You'll notice two common lugs in the center, then each common lug has its own set of three throws or positions. Rotary switches come in variations of these, like 2 pole 6 throw, 4pol 3 throw, but the layout is usually the same where you have one common and it's dedicated throws. So flip yours over, find the one common lug and it's three associates throws. The other set you'll leave alone. Doesn't matter which side you use!

If you don't have the board made up and the caps installed, I'd change up the way it's laid out. Solder the common lug on the rotary to the trace here Yoko 2 is. Then from each of the throws, solder one end of each cap. Solder three loose ends of the caps together and then run that to treble lug 2. That will wire it up as the schematic says. The layout seems to be for a very specific type of switch, and it doesn't look like it could logically work with your rotary. If you're doing it on perf you can reroute that small area, or just wire the caps onto the rotary like they're flying.

You can even get tricky with the other unused side of the switch to solder the ends of the caps together, short all of the lugs together, then use the second common to the treble lug 2.

PRR

> Here's the schematic:

That shows a 1P3T switch.

Your 2P3T switch is fine; just ignore one of the Poles. Use half the switch.

As Matt says: the "wiper" (arrow) is a central lug, and the three selections are the adjacent three lugs.
  • SUPPORTER

natron_mn

Thanks for the help.

Wouldn't I connect the inductor (currently going to Yoko 5) to the common lug on the rotary? That seems to be the "output" of the switch. That is, the treble goes to each of 3 capacitors, and the other ends of the capacitors are going to the inductor, depending on the position of the switch. I've got a crappy drawing below as how I might rearrange the board. Does this make sense, or am I missing something?