Removing VCO Bleed/Noise/Whine into audio signal FOREVER?!?!

Started by Se7en_Costanza, June 14, 2018, 02:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Se7en_Costanza

Ive built a couple of pedals before using either VCO and LFO's, that will usually bleed into audio path, LFO's usually have tick that bleeds into the audio signal with a shit tonne of filtering ive managed to remove ticking before with SOME circuits, but im building an 'Analog Bit Crusher' (schematic proved below) which is essentially a Sample Rate Reducer/Ring Modulator, which uses more higher pitched oscillators and i cant for the life of me remove the VCO bleeding into the audio signal.

Ive heard under powering the VCO IC with a 6V regulator can remove the bleed, which ive had no luck on, it just changes the oscillator frequency to me, same amount of bleed.

I also changed the 1nf to a 100nf after the FET, and changed the 1M resistor to the drain to a 100K resistor, it has its own bias network to the op amp controlling the audio, and this has had the best results but the oscillator bleed is still there.

Does anyone else have anything i could try to remove the bleed forever? Or a different oscillator i could use?
Ive heard of using an envelope to turn the oscillator on/off when you play, and ive tried it but i would like it try and achieve this without the envelope.

Se7en_Costanza

There just has to be a way for an audio path and a VCO to live side by side without them interfering right?

nocentelli

Freppo at parasitstudio has a sample rate reducer/aliaser with an envelope detector that gates the oscillator below an adjustable threshold. Works really well, but only using LM324

https://www.parasitstudio.se/building-blog/sonic-reducer

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Se7en_Costanza

Cheers man, ive started breadboarding this and ive heard good things, i was just hoping for a way of doing it without an envelope follower :)

PRR

Big cap across power rails AT chip.

C2 should return to Ground, not bias supply cap.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Separate isolated power supplies for the data path and the oscillator with a ground connection at only one point.

Se7en_Costanza

How big of a cap? do i need a resistor before it say 100R from 9V to Chip then a cap from Chip power and ground or wont matter? would a low power IC help also? im using a tl072 and have switched in a tl022 and tl062 with no difference in bleed, but the frequency and range drastically changes.

Also with grounding at 1 point, is the best point of ground the closest to the dc jack? or it doesnt matter but make sure they are at one point? and with seperate power supplies how is that achievable with the one 9v dc jack? Regulators? Diodes maybe?

Is there maybe a way of changing the amplitude of the Oscillator without changing the frequency? and running that to the FET. I know the 1M resistor to the Gate in this schematic brings it down but the chip is still pumping out a loud signal before it, was wondering if there was a way of just making it not output as much voltage making it a little harder for it to bleed through the connections.

Is there any information or guide of PCB design tackling the problem of having oscillators and an audio path and having them not interfere?

amptramp

There may be an oscillator topology that uses differential pairs with a current source to ensure that the oscillator has a constant current drain.  There are RF oscillators using L-C tuning but there may be a version that can use R-C tuning that is powered by a constant-current source.  A phase-shift oscillator does not have a sudden switching point, so it may also be used.