couple of quick univibe questions?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, June 18, 2018, 04:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

so i am almost done building my first actual univibe circuit. decided since i had an old 50's dearmond exp pedal that it was worthy of being the pcb's home... mainly cuz i could fit the dual gang pot in... and whatever else i wanted.

i used this <bought a kit, actually, the price was right and it was easier than sourcing parts everywhere>
https://guitar-electronics.eu/en_US/p/UNIVIBE-PCB/171

build doc link:
https://guitar-electronics.eu/en_US/p/file/a39c59d03eaa77c3632f11e4769a851a/univibe.pdf

here's the schem from it

i gotta hook up the AC and leds, everything else is done.

the build doc <in polish> says to take the + for the LED from the anode of c25.... i THINK that this will flash along with the bulb? kinda cool...
if it does, cool, if not, that's ok too.

but my question really is, since i have never done something like this and <as we all know> i know nothing, really...

where would be a good place to tap off some juice to drive a pair of led's to display whether its in chor or vibe mode? <dbdt at the top of the pedal>

if the indicator light does NOT flash, is there a preferred way to make it do so?

its set up with a 15vac regulated power supply.... i thought with the bridge rectifier it may step the voltage up some as it does in amps <i think.... been a long time since i really did anything with tube circuits other than mundane necessities like biasing and stuff>.. was gonna go with an 18vac supply, but ended up going with a 16vac supply which i imagine should be sufficient.

should i run the led's right off the dc jack itself <obviously its an ac jack in this case lol> like i would in a normal stomp, or is it a better way?

also, to minimize led interference, should i use Jack Orman's advice and use a pair of CLR's per led with a small cap to ground at their center taps?

i realize there's a lot of hoops possible to deal with... at this point still waiting for the wall wart to arrive.

final dumb question... should/could i just bypass the bridge and run it off an 18v tap on my power supply? it will do 18vdc 200ma easily. or is there a reason to use the full wave rec that my simple hippy bwain doesn't get?

please be gentle, remember, i am but an egg.... and your advice is always crucial and welcome, even if i am a blithering fool stumblind down a blind alley ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Kevin Mitchell

I feel any question is worth asking even if it may seem dumb  ::)

If you're using a DC power supply then the bridge would be redundant. Feel free to bypass that but still put some filter caps in there to clean it up.

Instead of using a single pole switch for chorus/vibe you could use a DPDT switch and a bi-colored LED to indicate what side of the switch is active.

I haven't used an LED for the LFO visual myself but I'm sure you could tie in a resistor from the lamp to your LED. Or perhaps there is a more sensible way - you don't want to pull too much current from that spot that it decreases how bright the bulb may light. But keep in mind the incandescent lamp would swing a bit differently than an LED. You may find more on this and mods to achieve this by searching the forum.

Otherwise - feel free to tap into the power supply to light up the LED.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

pinkjimiphoton

thanks Kevin

yeah when i worked for black cat, tom uses a secondary bulb for an indicator, i just figured the leds would be good enough in this case.

thanks for the advice!! yeah, searching the forum tends to get me too much info for my paygrade sometimes ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr