Designing a high voltage tube overdrive for an old Hammond organ.

Started by HeavyFog, June 21, 2018, 05:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFog

Hello everyone! I've bought myself an old Hammond T-262 tonewheel organ. The circuitry is solid state instead of tube but it still has a really nice sound, only problem is that it doesn't distort at all with the built in speakers. This is by design, so to get more dirt i plan on running an attenuated line out from the power amp so i can run it through pedals (including a rotary sim) and then into my guitar amp. I figured a great way to get some dirt would be to build a high voltage tube preamp that i can run before the leslie sim to get the dirt i want.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to start with a schematic? I was thinking something along the lines of a marshall style preamp but i'm not entirely sure. I'd like to do start with a 2 dual triodes and work from there. If anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear them!

anotherjim

You might look at Alembic F2-B clones. It really only needs 1 dual triode tube and there is a design on the web that shows how to use a pair of small low voltage transformers to power the heater and the HT without getting an expensive tube amp transformer. The Alembic design is actually a clone of a Fender amp input, complete with TBM tone stack, you can probably delete the tone controls except for a 0.1uF coupling cap.
http://moosapotamus.net/ideas/alembic-f-2b-preamp/

If it's Jon Lord distortion you want, then you may want to clone a JTM45 preamp.

HeavyFog

The alembic f2b seems like it could be a good choice but i dont think it has enough gain, so a JTM 45 or SLP preamp might do the trick. I got some very good results with a big muff before the leslie sim, so i don't think a fender preamp will quite cut it.

Keith emerson used to use Hiwatt amps to push his leslies so perhaps a hiwatt preamp might be a good choice to bring out the key click a bit more?

anotherjim

Apart from hi-gain varieties and different tonestacks, there are really only subtle differences in most tube pre-amp stages. Some may include a cathode follower to drive the tonestack, but that doesn't add gain or distort much.
Without a tonestack, the F2-B has a hell of a lot of gain and the output will need attenuation. Actually, to suit most modern inputs, it needs attenuating anyway.

PRR

High voltage is not needed for "dirt". (Actually simpler with low voltage.)

Why not a FuzzFace?

Why not mod the organ's gain-chain? Make R853 R856 smaller; tack 220r across each as a trial.
  • SUPPORTER

HeavyFog

I've tried a fuzz face and i did like the sound, but i want to do a tube overdrive not out of necessity but because i think it would be a bit of fun. Id like to try something new.

I think a plexi or hiwatt preamp is the way to go.

amptramp

A tube overdrive has a great advantage over a transistor design - its performance does not vary with temperature.  And if you follow the Alembic design posted above, you don't need 300 volts for the B+ supply.  In fact, the lower it goes, the more distortion you get until you are down in the low double digits and it dies out.