Way Huge Saucy Box gain control

Started by marcelomd, June 22, 2018, 12:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcelomd

Hi,

In my quest to learn everything clean(-ish) blend related, I found the Way Huge saucy Box.

From the site:
QuoteThe Saucy Box Overdrive balances an optimum ratio of clean and dirty signals with a single Gain control for rich, buttery overdrive tones.

How does it do the gain+blend thing? Anyone has a clue? Is it a fixed dry/wet ratio?

I did my homework and found that it is a simplified version of the Pork Loin, which has a blend knob. I did not find any schematics though. Way Huge stuff is great, but Way Hard to Find (except for Pickles and Rhinos) and Way Expensive around here, so buying one just to trace it is not an option right now.

Thanks!

PS. If Jeorge is reading this: Hi Jeorge! I'm a fan! Hope you don't mind my curiosity.

vigilante397

I don't own one and have never seen one in person, but have heard them sometimes compared to the Klon, which uses a dual-gang pot for the gain control to simultaneously decrease the clean signal and increase the dirty signal as the pot is turned clockwise. Obviously I can't confirm that this is what the Saucy Box does, but I see that it also uses a dual-gang pot for gain, so I feel like it's a reasonable speculation.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

marcelomd

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 22, 2018, 03:00:46 PM
I don't own one and have never seen one in person, but have heard them sometimes compared to the Klon, which uses a dual-gang pot for the gain control to simultaneously decrease the clean signal and increase the dirty signal as the pot is turned clockwise. Obviously I can't confirm that this is what the Saucy Box does, but I see that it also uses a dual-gang pot for gain, so I feel like it's a reasonable speculation.

How could I forget the Klon?

Could be something like that. One side of the potentiometer as a drive control and the other as a volume control for the clean side (or limiting the input of the clean side) and a fixed mix.

Thanks!

marcelomd

Well, on another thread someone pointed to Maxon 820 which has the one side of the blend pot at the start of the circuit, feeding the clean and dirty channels. The other side of this pot controls the gain for the dirty channel. Both channels are mixed at a fixed ratio later on.

Nice.