C3198Y/A1266Y Can be used for some project?

Started by andrea2127, June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrea2127

Recently, with the help of you guys i've build my first pedal, a fuzz face with bc108b transistor. In my opinion, sound very good to be my first DIY pedal ever.
Now, yesterday a bring at home an old car amplifier that doesn't work so i opened up and i saw a burn spot. Too much work to control all the parts and try to reset it.
I figured out that there are a lot of transistor. There are some C3198Y A1266Y C945P C1815. i google it but i cannot understand if they are similar to bc108 or if they can be used in the same way. Can i use that for another diy project, maybe another fuzz face with a different sound or another type of fuzz/distorsion pedal? Than a lot for your answer.

duck_arse

the short answer is yes, you can build with those parts. the long answer is - get the datasheets for each part number. are they pnp or npn types? are they small signal or medium power or power types? get your multimeter with its transistor tester, test them for good/bad and hFE. then, get your breadboard and a fuzz circuit, and plug them in and listen. simple.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

andrea2127

They are NPN and PNP. hfe between 170 and 200. But i don't know if they are small signal or power type. Ok i need to find them datasheet and see what they are. i'll buy a breadboard soon as i can and try to put in a fuzz circuit to see if they works. in theory if the multimeter can read their hfe means that they works? right?

pinkjimiphoton

yep, if your meter reads the hfe, the q's work.
sounds like perfect candidates for fuzz.

there's these cheap ass testers on ebay, you can get for under 20 bux shipped. they can be a real time saver, as you
plug in whatever and it tells the pinout, gain, even leakage if they're germanium.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=electronic+component+meter&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=component+checker+electronics

still, look up the datasheets.. but these things are wicked handy sometimes

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr