Crediting for circuit design

Started by suryabeep, June 21, 2018, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suryabeep

Hi,
I am putting together a small number of engineer's thumb pedals (<5) to give/sell to my musician friends in the LA touring/recording biz.
Is it good practice to credit the original designer of the circuit on the pcb? What's the usual policy in these cases?
(I am designing+assembling the PCB myself, and artwork is being done by an artist friend of mine who'll be credited+commissioned)

Hypothetical: if I were to make larger numbers (10-15) for sale on reverb or locally, do I also credit the designer in the pedal description?
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

antonis

I presume it's more like deontology/ethics issue...

(I credited Merlin on my Jenny Greenteeth handmade board even if nobody could ever see it..)  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Best thing to do is contact the designer and ask them how they feel.  Different people like to be recognized and thanked in different ways.

Some people wouldn't necessarily like to see their design being sold by someone as a product.  Others may not care, or may even encourage it.  It's not a legal issue but rather an ethical issue, which I'm sure you understand (otherwise you wouldn't be asking about how to properly  acknowledge the hard work of others, which is a nice thing to want to do).

(Also, as a side issue, you don't want your attribution within your commercial description to look like a falsely implied endorsement, which is another good reason to consult the designer).
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

matmosphere

I agree, contact the designer and let him know what your intentions are and see what they say.