pedalboard weirdness

Started by pinkjimiphoton, June 28, 2018, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

guys, any idea why AFTER i power down my board about 1/2 the pedals leds stay on?
ground loop? leaky coupling cap maybe? i run two bricks to power my board, have tried reversing the power to one or both when its picking up a lot of noise in some rooms... but the leds staying on just began about 2 weeks ago. its kinda cool, but kinda freeky.

any ideas? do ya think i may be damaging something, or damaged something? should i stop freekin out about it, or is it worthy of serious investigation?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

PRR

They stay on even after you pack your bags and get home??

Either you have invented Free Power or there's some power source you are not considering.

What changed at the same time?
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Probably you have one (or more) pedals with a cap connected to the power supply jack, to filter the power. This cap gets charged and when you power down your board, they still have enough juice to light up the led for a few seconds. And if the pedals are daisy chained, it may have enough juice to light up another pedal's led. It probably always happened, but you didn't noticed it before, or you used to power down your board with all pedals bypassed and started to notice it when you forgot to bypass a pedal.

This remember when I was a kid I got some cheap and semi broken mixer-like thing from an uncle. I didn't had anything to plug it in, just the mixer, so I used to power it up and stay watching that beautiful green led. Then I went under the bed with the mixer unplugged from the wall power and turn the power switch just to watch that beautiful led light up with no power plugged in, then slowly fading out as some cap was discharging. Sadly I don't have that mixer anymore.

I'd say don't worry about it.

pinkjimiphoton

last nite when i opened my board for the show, it STILL had a bunch of leds glowing... that was 48 hours later. i was showing the guys and moved a spare cdrd thar apparently shorted it out.

just weird how some of them glow... mostly fuzzes
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Kevin Mitchell

My first thought;
If you have a daisy chain setup and one of your pedals has a battery in it, it would certainly keep the LEDs lit for a while - depending how the battery snap is wired to the power jack. Couldn't imagine this scenario lasting for days though.

Second thought;
Voodoo magic
  • SUPPORTER
I'm archiving all of my DIYLC work for the home-etchers - Project Layouts & Templates

matmosphere

There has to be a battery in there somewhere. You lend a pedal out to someone recently?

pinkjimiphoton

anything that may have a battery has a switching power supply jack, only kind i use.

thinking some of the bigger caps may be storing enough to keep the led's lit... google joule thief. it doesn't take much.

also, if it were a battery, it shouldn't go out just from the sleeve of a cord hitting against a case. if it were a battery, as soon as i moved the cord, and relieved the short it would go back on, yes?

i run two bricks on my board, each pedal has its own individual supply. no daisy chains. getting ready to add a third one.
but i have to wonder, since the blades on the plugs for each supply aren't polarized, if perhaps they're opposing each other with stored electrons, and releasing down the common ground paths?
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 02, 2018, 06:38:53 PM
thinking some of the bigger caps may be storing enough to keep the led's lit... google joule thief. it doesn't take much.

THC

The Holdover Capacitor

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

i see what ya did there lol  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

hahah, so i break out the pedalboard on tuesday nite, and sure enough, still glowing from last thursday nite!! lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

Hey PinkBro: are you sure you're not Tony Stark and you've not just accidentally invented cheap limitless power for the masses?  :icon_eek:

;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

diffeq

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 05, 2018, 06:52:02 PM
hahah, so i break out the pedalboard on tuesday nite, and sure enough, still glowing from last thursday nite!! lol
"Powered by Fuzzy Goodness"  ;D

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

nocentelli

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 29, 2018, 03:17:26 PM
one of your pedals has a battery in it

Surely? Either that or you've broken physics  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

stallik

Does your pedalboard contain a wheel or a hamster?

Seriously, watch this... Might not be connected :)

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

pinkjimiphoton

was still lit when i opened it last nite, and glowing brightly at 2 am when i was packing up lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Kevin Mitchell

While all observations can be explained away with physics, I'm sure we all hope for a paranormal phenomena. Where an end isn't written and the story becomes a legend.

I hope we never figure this one out  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
I'm archiving all of my DIYLC work for the home-etchers - Project Layouts & Templates

pinkjimiphoton

my money is on a big funkin cap somewhere lol... or poltergheists. they seem fun from the movies i've seen.

still lit today. i checked. as soon as i stomp the switch, it goes out, so these i guess are staying on on the ones that are on when i power down, if that makes any more/less sense.

or i have just enough quarks and kemzars in there to tap into the multiverse's flux capacitance or something lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 06, 2018, 08:07:25 PM
or i have just enough quarks and kemzars in there to tap into the multiverse's flux capacitance or something lol

That'll be it. Why didn't we think of this earlier??  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

maybe you've divided something by zero recently. that'd put a crimp on yer day.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.