Water slide decal lifting of when adjusting swtich nut

Started by DeusM, June 30, 2018, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeusM

Hey guys. So, I'm new using water slide declal. So far so good. No problem with the inc or applying it. The problem is when I want to adjust the DPDT's nut. The decal moves so I guess it's not well applied. I notice that in the paper that's left from the decal has some glue on it. Maybe if I apply some other glue to the surface of the pedal it won't move when I adjust the nut. What are your experiences?

It's not the amps that kills you. It's the "mojo"

GGBB

Did you clear-coat with anything over the decal? If not, then you would need to be extremely careful as water-slide decals are generally not that durable. Extra glue might help, but I think if you are going for the label-on-bare-box approach, you'd be much better off with adhesive vinyl decals.
  • SUPPORTER

DeusM

Quote from: GGBB on June 30, 2018, 05:28:05 PM
I think if you are going for the label-on-bare-box approach, you'd be much better off with adhesive vinyl decals.

I didn't choose vinyl because I think It will be harder to get it straight in the pedal. Also, it will be more noticeable. I saw some videos on YouTube of people using some kind of glue for the waterslide decals. I didn't used any clear cote because I think it will change the finish in the pedal. And by finish I mean bare box aproach  :icon_mrgreen:
It's not the amps that kills you. It's the "mojo"

r-nox

Kevin Mitchell

Keep in mind that the bare enclosure would get dirty very fast if you don't clear coat it. Also the decal would for sure fall off eventually after drying and frying. They're not really meant to act as stickers - which is where vinyl would come to play.

If you love it, you'll coat it  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

stallik

Any decal can lift or become scratched when tightening a nut against it. Those thin metal washers can allow the nut to rotate without moving the graphic. I can't see clearly from the photo - do you have one fitted?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Myampgoesto12

I think that either decal type should have protection applied over it, I've had luck with gloss clear enamel. Several very thin coats, time in between coats for drying, and a light but lengthy buffing. It will have a gloss surface, but the texture of the aluminium will still be seen.

My approah to avoid this without clearing would be to cut a larger hole in the material with a blade before or after applying it to the enclosure so that the washer only makes contact to the enclosure material.

Or, you could put just a dab, seriously a VERY little bit of some kind of lubricant, oil, talc, chap stick etc, on the underside of the washer prior to installing to allow the washer to rotate more freely on the decal until the nut is properly torqued.

Best of luck!