How did dey dood dat?

Started by Sooner Boomer, July 02, 2018, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooner Boomer

I was given a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive v2 to play with.  What makes this pedal versatile is the series of DIP switches in the battery compartment.  You can switch in Blue LED clipping, Red LED clipping, FET clipping, and gain boost.  Apparently no schematics are (easily) available.  The blue and red LEDs seem to be straightforward - I assume they are switched in or out of a feedback loop in an op amp.  The other two, the FET clipping and gain boost have me a bit puzzled.  How do you switch in/out what I assume is some sort of fetzor valve-type of clipping with an SPST switch?  Same question with gain boost.

I really like this idea.  I think I'll incorporate it into my next pedal build, switching in Ge diodes, Si diodes, and Blue/Red LEDs.  I might put a second switch in to switch different value caps in for tone shaping.
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

FiveseveN

FET clipping probably refers to some MOSFET clipping arrangeement: http://www.muzique.com/lab/zenmos.htm
The gain boost mode is most likely no diodes = pure opamp gain (and at some point, distortion).
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Sooner Boomer on July 02, 2018, 02:20:36 PM
I was given a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive v2 to play with.  What makes this pedal versatile is the series of DIP switches in the battery compartment.  You can switch in Blue LED clipping, Red LED clipping, FET clipping, and gain boost.  Apparently no schematics are (easily) available.  The blue and red LEDs seem to be straightforward - I assume they are switched in or out of a feedback loop in an op amp.  The other two, the FET clipping and gain boost have me a bit puzzled.  How do you switch in/out what I assume is some sort of fetzor valve-type of clipping with an SPST switch?  Same question with gain boost.

I really like this idea.  I think I'll incorporate it into my next pedal build, switching in Ge diodes, Si diodes, and Blue/Red LEDs.  I might put a second switch in to switch different value caps in for tone shaping.

dude, its a timmy pedal. google timmy schematic, and there ya go!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

mth5044

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 02, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
Quote from: Sooner Boomer on July 02, 2018, 02:20:36 PM

dude, its a timmy pedal. google timmy schematic, and there ya go!

That takes me way back, and I could be remembering wrong, but didn't they change the circuit once they were called out on it?

pinkjimiphoton

nope. far as i remember, its an exact clone of the timmy pedal. there's an article on it on revolution deux if memory serves. for all intents, its just a tricked out version of something else with different clipping, tho my memory fails at the moment as to what.
but i think i'm right. doesn't mean i am. ever  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Sooner Boomer

Thanks for the replies so far.  So no one knows how to switch the effects in with an SPST switch?
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

pinkjimiphoton

if ya mean the diode clipper(s)? put 'em on a bus and switch it to ground, the sides that would go to ground normally. ya could put 'em all together with the sides going to ground to one side of an spst and the other pole of the spst to ground.

or you would need one for each clipper, i'd have to see the specific circuit.

maybe i'm misunderstanding?
let me read the original post again ;)

try this

its pretty much just two dip switches, so you can make the top or the bottom of the wave clip symetrically or not. it just switches in both halves of another diode clipper in the feedback loop.
not sure if this totally matches your pedal, its 3:15 am and i'm wayyyyy too lazy to search the archives.

hope this helps mate
peace
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr