Uglyface advice requested.

Started by rutabaga bob, July 04, 2018, 05:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutabaga bob

Hey y'all...built a standard-version uglyface for a friend, and have been testing it out today.  Not working right: it does the self-oscillation stuff, but I have only gotten guitar fuzz out of it a couple of times, and not for long.  Guitar is fine when using bypass.  Maybe a bogus Vactrol, or cmos chip?  Using a VTL5C2.  Thanks for any help!  Happy 4th of July!

EDIT: played with the controls some more, but even with the sensitivity maxed and the threshold low, the crackly fuzz doesn't last very long.   Not much use as a 'crazy' pedal if you can't hear it...
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

duck_arse

circuit diagram? voltages? build photos? please?
don't make me draw another line.

nocentelli

I'd try to jumper the output cap from the 386 direct to the volume pot to see if the chip-amp is the problem.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

rutabaga bob

Not hooked up to a photo-hosting site since the 'Bucket got greedy.
Voltages:
LM386
pin 1: 1.363 v
pin 2: 0 v
pin 3: 10.4 mv
pin 4: 1.1 mv
pin 5: 4.24 v
pin 6: 9.16 v
pin 7: 4.62 v
pin 8: 1.31 v

CMOS 555
pin 1: 0 v
pin 2: 4 mv
pin 3: 3.7 mv
pin 4: .426 v
pin 5: 6.13 v
pin 6: 1.04 v
pin 7: -392.6 mv
pin 8: 9.1 v

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: rutabaga bob on July 05, 2018, 03:44:50 PM
Not hooked up to a photo-hosting site since the 'Bucket got greedy.
Use Postimages, it's free and doesn't asks for a registration. You can find an "Add image to post" right under the reply box, that it's a shortcut to Postimages.

duck_arse

you used to be able to do anonymous posts on imgur, ?still can?

some observations - yer lm386 - pin 4 is ground, should show 0V, not something volts.
your 7555 - pin 2 is short to pin 6 on the circuit dia, but your volts .......
pin 7 can't be a negative, because it has a 100k pulling it to supply .....
if you work the threshold pot from off to full, you should get pin 4 vary from ~0V27 - 3V. does yours?

rutabaga bob

Will check, Mr. Duck.  Just got done doing some checking and audio probing.  Weird things are going on.  Probe on pin 5 of the 386...didn't really get anything from the tone I used as input.  Fooled around with the threshold and sensitivity knobs and got the self-generated sounds from pin 5...which quit after a bit, and I couldn't get them back.  Then I got them back.  Turned the knobs back to allow signal...no signal.  Turned the effect off.  Turned it back on, turned on the test tone and got a split-second of sound.  Set the knobs for self-oscillation, got it for a while then nothing, no matter how I set the knobs.  Is there a 'hair-yank' emoji?

Stephen...I won't vouch for the accuracy/quality of my multimeter, old cobber.  Will that voltage swing you asked about be checkable with the IC removed?

duck_arse

yes, voltage on that string should be like I said with the IC out of socket. can you lash-up a test circuit for the 7555 on a breadboard? like a slow led flasher, just to prove good. about the 386, you might try and add an electro across the supply pins, right at/under the socket, as big as you like. many people seem to fix their 386 circuits with bypass cap to kill supersonic oscillation. I seem to recall the badness varies according to the IC part # suffix.

rutabaga bob

Okay...for those keeping score at home, voltages, no ICs installed:
Pin 1: .5mv
Pin 2: 0
Pin 3: -.3mv
Pin 4: 0
Pin 5: 291mv and dropping (connected to 2 electros)
Pin 6: 9.44v
Pin 7: 2.7mv
Pin 8: .5mv

CMOS 555
Pin 1: 0
Pin 2: 9.08v
Pin 3: 9.08v
Pin 4: 289.2mv
Pin 5: 3.3mv
Pin 6: 9.08v
Pin 7: 9.33v
Pin 8: 9.44v

Pin 4, range when I turn the Threshold knob: .423v - 3.11v

duck_arse

I think wiring error around the 7555 [as per email].

rutabaga bob

Update: had it back apart...can't see any mis-wiring, for what that's worth.  Rigged up a way to hold the faceplate so as to access both sides.  Worked, then didn't.  BUT: discovered something others have experienced - the 555 chip gets hot.  Will do a search for other posts in this regard.

rankot

You can't use regular NE555 or TLC555, it must be 7555.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rutabaga bob

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rutabaga bob

rankot

Indeed it is - now I saw datasheets - I thought it is some version of regular 555!
I though only TLC555 is CMOS, however, when I tried it in my Uglyface, it was overheating, so I thought that the problem is CMOS specific, when I put ICM7555 inside, it worked well.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Marcos - Munky

Does anybody knows the reason for this circuit to require a cmos 555? They're pretty expensive here.

duck_arse

the original bipolar 555 has a string of three internal resistors between Vcc and ground, with the upper//mid node connecting to the CV at pin 5. these resistors are each 5k. in the ICM7555 datasheet for the cmos version, the resistors are specified as 100k +/- 20%. so - if you measure the resistance between pin 1 and pin 8 with the IC out of circuit, and it reads ~15k, you can be fairly sure it is NOT cmos.

I tried some measures, and on 2 RC555NB (1976 datecode), they read 13k4/9k and 13k8/9k2 [pin1&8/pin1&5].
on a single GLC555 [on which I have no data, but was sold as cmos 555], I measure 370k/239k, which figures.
on a single Signetics 7555CN, I measured 124k/85k - which kind of tallies, certainly not 15k.
and for shizzle kicks, I measured one NEC D556C [which is a dual cmos 555 ....] and ..... it didn't hold up, 370k across supply, but 334k between CV and ground. 215k between Vcc pin and each CV pin.

anybody want to add a few more datapoints? the Signetics part works in the face I built, I didn't notice any heat or other funnies.

as for why they would run hot, I could only guess that the Reset flip-flop doesn't like being run in linear mode, or there is something screwy about connecting Output and Discharge via the freq pot.

rutabaga bob

FINIS!  Got in the 7555 chips, installed one, and that solved the issue!  Got a couple of extra ICs, in case I ever build one of these again.  The guy who's been waiting on this is very glad to see it completed!

Thanks to you all!

rankot

I have also measured my 7555 and it is around 125k. Works fine in my Uglyface.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!