Uglyface advice requested.

Started by rutabaga bob, July 04, 2018, 05:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

duck_arse

so, Rutabaga Bob, you had a bad IC, eh? that's a turnip for the books. swede looking build, though.

ow, ow ow, ow, my sides ......
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

rankot

I have finally took my time to complete my 2nd build of Uglyface, so this is the report:

• As the first time, it is also with LFO, containing switch for rise/triangle/fall shape, LFO frequency pot and LFO on/off switch.
  • This time I concentrated on output options. First I added MIX pot (CW on LM386 out, CCW on 7555 out), but I didn't like it - LM386 signal was much stronger and output was too squarish, whatever I tried, so I removed it.
  • Next was FILTER option from the schematic someone posted here few days ago, so I tried it and it works fine, although I used 10n instead of 33n.
  • The last step was output VOLUME pot; UF is actually incredibly loud, so I decided to remove this pot and put a 50k trimmer in the spot. So I adjusted it to have near unity gain and the job is done.

Now I have to pack it back into the box again, but I had to sand it due to changes in pot names, so I will have to wait till it's dry and paint few more layers of color :)

This is the schematic with all the changes commited:
http://docdro.id/lsnNpuh
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Marcos - Munky

I built an Ugly Face again after reading this post. I sticked with the original one, still have to build one with the lfo. What is this filter mod?

rankot

It filters out noise (over 1k).
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

duck_arse

rankot - I've to build a second facia baga as well, but I think I'll be adding this oscillator [from another .... project]:
https://i.imgur.com/o2rvrMC.png

needs some value messing around the timing caps, depends on what's to hand. the simple method is to take the "CV_select" output to a big cap, like 22uF, into the CV pin of the 7555. that way, you can have sweep madness AND lfo madness at the same time.

Marcos - the filter option is just an "swtc" variant - which is good, cause it eats a load of volume as well. it lends some slant to the squarewave edge, makes it less awful.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

rankot

I've bought XR-2206 Monolithic Function Generator which can do sine, triangle and square, although it can't make rise/fall wave shapes, but I don't have spare time to play with it those days.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!