Gem Electronics Mars G15 build

Started by patrick398, July 05, 2018, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

Ok so i'm just putting the feelers out here, and have a few questions to ask first, but...
Last year i was recording in a studio and played through their Gem Electronics Mars G30 amp which i loved. Can't find a schem for that though but did come across a schem for it's smaller brother, the G15. This is a solid state amp as opposed to the valve/transistor hybrid of the G30.
http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=286&d=1168775356
Looks like it could be fun to build. Probably not going to set the world on fire but they're pretty uncommon amps as far as i can tell and the one i played through had a lot of character.

First thing is that i just want to run this in front of my amp, as opposed to into a speaker.
Is the TBA810AS acting as a power amp here? And if so could i omit it as i'm not driving a speaker? (i'm not so hot on amp topology)
From what i can tell the transformer is stepping 240v down to 12v...but i'm confused because parts of the schem are marked as having 16ish volts...what's the deal there?
Could i not just power it off a 12v supply...or whatever the circuit needs? I don't especially want to be wiring transformers myself at this stage.
I'll probably omit the tremolo section too, don't really need it.

So what d'ya reckon? Worth it? Waste of time?
Interested to hear your thoughts

PRR

12V Sine AC will rectify-up to 12V*1.414 or 16.97V of DC, minus losses, 16V DC.

It is a cheap piece of fluff. Yes, give it 12V DC, I doubt it makes much difference.

The Volume pot can't be 1K. My bet is 100K.
  • SUPPORTER

patrick398

Hmm not filling me with hope haha. Think i'll just build the fet bassman pre instead
Thanks for the reply

PRR

"Cheap piece of fluff" is a technical term, not an aesthetic judgement. Guitarists find "tone" in odd places.

There's not much to it. Build it. Play it.
  • SUPPORTER