Anyone know what diode this is?

Started by Lithium_Grim, July 07, 2018, 08:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithium_Grim

I got these from a guy that sayd he was selling MA856. They are most definitely not those. But does anyone know what they are?

imJonWain

Clearly it's an approximately equal diode
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

duck_arse

it appears to be the old NatSemi logo, not that that helps any.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Lithium_Grim

Well thank you kindly! It is more info than I had before. Any idea in what region I can do some more investigations? I thought is might ba a sort of 1N4148 or so diode. It measures the same as almost any 1N4148 replacement as far as I can tell

Phoenix

That's what I would expect a MA856 to read, what makes you think they are not?
There will be a part number printed on them, though you may need magnification to read it.
The MA856 is just a small-signal diode anyway, anything like a 1N4148/1N914 will substitute just fine.

Lithium_Grim

There are no other markings than the ones in the picture, hence my question. I measured 1N4148, 1N914 (NOS so not rebranded 1N4148), MA856, MA858 and even MA859 and they all measure around the same. Since people are asking a lot of money for MA856 I wanted to be sure it is not just a rebranded 1N4148. I do have some genuine MA856 and they are smaller and more round (DO-34-A1) and these look like DO-35.

merlinb

anotherjim

I just realised that if that Nat Semi logo ever got printed in reverse, it would mean something much more sinister.