PNP proyect, sound goes out when enclosed

Started by Diego A, July 07, 2018, 03:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego A

Hi!

I´m new building my own pedals and i succesfully completed a clone of the PNP Tone Bender Mk I.V, sounds great but as soon as i put the enclosure´s top the sound goes off. I searched for posible causes but no answer yet. Anyone can help me?

Thanks!

Atodovax

Are you using positive ground or negative ground? Are you using a metal Jack or plastic Jack for the power Jack? You cannot use a metal Jack and a metal enclosure on a negative ground pedal because on those jacks you always have the + on the outer side so it Will short to ground there touching the enclosure. Try using plastic a plastic jack there. Let me know if it was that

idy

If it is the lid going on that kills it, check contact of lid with jacks, or lid pressing circuit board to touch something else.

Diego A

Atodovax i´m using a battery but i will use a plastic jack as soon as i solve this, the circuit is pnp so the ground is positive.
Idy you´re right, it´s when i put the lid, i will check the jacks and circuit board.
Thank you guys!

pokus

Happened to me at my first ones too. In my case the unisolated tops of the electrolytic capacitors touched the lid.

Laguna

some electrical tape on the back of the lid may solve your issue :)
It's worth giving it a try, what's the worst it can happen?

Diego A

Quote from: idy on July 07, 2018, 03:54:39 PM
If it is the lid going on that kills it, check contact of lid with jacks, or lid pressing circuit board to touch something else.

You´re right! i moved the jack and the problem is gone! Thanks a lot!

Now i´m using the plastic dc jack  but i get a noise in the background

Atodovax

Great! Noise with power supply and battery or only with PSU?

Diego A

It was with the power supply only but Like the pedal was pnp i made a daughterboard for reverse the polarity. Used a 7809 to fix the correct voltage and now is a very silent circuit who also i can daisychain with my other npn boxes  :icon_wink: