Guitar preamp for bluetooth miniboom

Started by nocentelli, July 10, 2018, 06:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocentelli

I have a fantastic little UE mini bluetooth speaker that has sadly gone bluetooth mute/deaf. The aux input still works well with line level signals (i.e. my phone and Korg monotron sound great running at full volume from the headphones output and don't overdrive the input) so I suspect I should build a preamp to use it with guitar. I'm using a Timmy-style opamp circuit so I can get everything from totally clean to fairly overdriven and have control over bass and treble, but I get the impression that it is not much higher in output than the guitar itself when running completely clean. How much extra output do I need to make it play nice with the miniboom, and how is this best achieved?

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

GibsonGM

I'd whip up a basic opamp boost and do this by experiment!   No messing around with figuring out what's going on inside the UE.    Slowly increase gain until you hit the point of a bit of distortion (when you are trying to make it clean), then back off a little.
Even easier if you have a scope!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

nocentelli

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 10, 2018, 07:10:20 AM
I'd whip up a basic opamp boost and do this by experiment! ....slowly increase gain until you hit the point of a bit of distortion (when you are trying to make it clean), then back off a little.

OK, so the second stage in the timmy seems to be a unity/buffer after the tone pot: I could just change the 3k3 in the loop to a e.g. 20k pot to give a boost up to x7 gain? My concern was that this boost stage might be overdriven and i would be a unable to discern whether unintentional distortion is coming from this or the miniboom input.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

PRR

> I'm using a Timmy-style opamp circuit

Show schematic or it didn't happen.

Google "Timmy" brings up unrelated junk (and a Wikipedia vandalism, fixed).

Google "Timmy-style opamp circuit" brings up preamps, the first one I found has gain of 100, which would leave no complaint. So you need to post YOUR "Timmy-style".
  • SUPPORTER