Headphone amplifier for cab simulator pedals [QUESTIONS]

Started by TheAlex21gr, July 10, 2018, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAlex21gr

Hello guys,

Over the last years I've been playing and recording guitar directly through an audio interface and the essential software (amp/cab sims, impulse responses, etc.)

However since I'm now starting to build my own pedals I feel obligated to also build a simulator pedal, since they are so easy to make.

After some research I decided that the pedals I'm going to build are the Marshall Speaker Simulator (http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=72) and the Hot Line 2 (http://guitar-gear.ru/2016/hotline2/) and I'll probably house them on the same 1590BB enclosure with a DPDT switch to choose between the two.

Today I realised that it would be extremely useful to also make the headphone amplifier presented on the Hot Line 2 page.

However since I'm just getting into electronics I have a few questions about this amplifier:

1) Can I also use it with the Marshall or is it specifically designed for the output of Hot Line 2?

2) How do I connect the output of the amp sim both with the output jack and the headphone amplifier? Let's say that for the volume pot presented on the circuit lug 1 is connected to ground, lug 2 goes to the headphone amp and lug 3 is the output of the amp sim. I can think of three possible connections:

a) Connect lug 3 to the output jack, with no option of adjusting the output volume.

b) Connect lug 2 to the output jack (before C1), and be able to use the volume pot either for the headphones or for the signal that goes into the audio interface. This is what I'd like to do if possible.

c) Make the headphone amplifier external, and use it by plugging it to the output jack.

Thanks in advance!
When I grow up I want to become a guitar pedal

PRR

Welcome.

That's a pretty vanilla headphone amp. I'd expect it to work with most any pedal chain, and certainly with studio gear (what speaker sims really are). I'd start by building stand-alone for versatility. When, as sometimes has happened, I had a specific collection of kit which had to be ultra-neat, I have built several logical units in one small box, but that's awkward for other uses. (That HP amp is so simple you might end up with several...)
  • SUPPORTER