Resurrection of a Tel-Ray oilcan "organ tone"

Started by Mark Hammer, July 11, 2018, 02:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

This is a really interesting and informative video, detailing the resurrection and inner workings of an oilcan modulated delay.  Absolutely fascinating.  Gives new meaning to the phrase "vintage tone".  They sure as heck don't make them like this anymore.  Thank you Uncle Doug!

diffeq

Thanks for sharing this. I only read about oilcan machines some time ago, now I know how it sounds like. Probably one of the most charming sounds I've heard in a while.

Digital Larry

I've made a first order simulation of an oil-can delay in DSP, where the delay time is synchronized with a vibrato wobble frequency.  Can sound really interesting.  You start thinking about the angular displacement of the read and write heads, multiple heads, frequency response, distortion, etc. but as a real one of these (or Morley/Fender equivalent) was fetching upwards of $750 on flea-bay last time I looked, I may never have a real one in hand to measure.  Not to mention the unobtanium based oil!

There's a demo of a Fender model on YouTube where the sound really gets pretty weird when the speed is set at its lowest setting.  I think what happens is that the oil film which retains the signal pattern physically on its trip from the write head to the read head starts to drip, causing a random phase distortion "or something".

Note that I like to summarize super technical conjecture with the catch-all phrase "or something" as it allows me to sound erudite and at the same time I can be completely wrong!   8)
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Digital Larry on July 12, 2018, 10:02:04 AM
I've made a first order simulation of an oil-can delay in DSP, where the delay time is synchronized with a vibrato wobble frequency.  Can sound really interesting.  You start thinking about the angular displacement of the read and write heads, multiple heads, frequency response, distortion, etc. but as a real one of these (or Morley/Fender equivalent) was fetching upwards of $750 on flea-bay last time I looked, I may never have a real one in hand to measure.  Not to mention the unobtanium based oil!

There's a demo of a Fender model on YouTube where the sound really gets pretty weird when the speed is set at its lowest setting.  I think what happens is that the oil film which retains the signal pattern physically on its trip from the write head to the read head starts to drip, causing a random phase distortion "or something".

Note that I like to summarize super technical conjecture with the catch-all phrase "or something" as it allows me to sound erudite and at the same time I can be completely wrong!   8)

i have one waiting to get rebuilt on my bench, complete with the unobtanium oil. they are really weird!
the modulation is completely unpredictable, they basically run on rubber bands.

the heads are actually rubber, they barely touch an anodized aluminum disc. the oil is what actually transfers the signal. its bizzarre!

i have to take it completely apart to clean it, which is a major drag <standel reverberola or something like that> and i gotta recap it, but there's virtually nothing in there. couple passives, couple pots, couple tubes.

these things really have a sound of their own. a bud plays with hilton valentine <the animals> and has been trying to get it off me since ben lyman hooked me up with it.

thanks sir mark for a most cool posting!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

ElectricDruid

I love Uncle Doug videos. I can get lost on YouTube for hours just watching the guy stick tolex to an amp cabinet, and I'm not even building an amp!

T.

Edit: telex?! *tolex*...damn autocorrect.

vigilante397

Well that was absurdly cool. Add that to the list of things I didn't realized I need until right now ::)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thehallofshields

I really like the sound of the Catalinbread Adineko that is supposed to capture the Tel-Ray tone.

Always hoped for a diy delay + vibrato that could achieve the same thing.

thermionix

Am I the only one expecting the opening chords to "Moving in Stereo"?

...and Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool...

deadastronaut

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 17, 2018, 06:08:51 PM
I love Uncle Doug videos. I can get lost on YouTube for hours just watching the guy stick tolex to an amp cabinet, and I'm not even building an amp!

T.

Edit: telex?! *tolex*...damn autocorrect.

yeah, me too i subbed to his channel ages ago....a great guy. great work,  and his ever loyal dog rusty who has sadly passed on...

that thing is full on forbidden planet... 8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

thermionix

How's Jack the cat?  Yeah, I watch his videos sometimes too.  I liked his tube reverb unit build, sounded awful until he fixed the parasitic oscillations.