Help Fixing/Diagnosing Fuzz Face Clone With Background Noise

Started by ItsGiusto, July 14, 2018, 09:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsGiusto

I have a Jam Fuzz Phrase that I got used a couple of years ago. It's a great fuzz face clone.

It's recently developed a lot of background white-noise when it's not bypassed. When it happens, it will happen both when I'm running it off of battery or 9v power supply (isolated output from Truetone CS12). However, sometimes when either plugging in the 9v power-cable or taking it out, the noise will briefly stop. It will stay quiet, without extra background noise, until I plug in or remove the 9v power cable again, at which point it will get very hissy again.

Is the 9v power adapter socket bad? Could it be anything else? Is there a way short of replacing the socket that I can figure out definitively what is causing the problem?

guitar.mod

Hi, have You solved the problem?

p.s. "Hissy noise" is it "white noise" or only one dominated high frequency noise - "oscilation"?

ItsGiusto

Nah, I haven't solved the issue yet. I'll upload a video of it tonight so you can hear it yourself, but it sounds like a very loud "HSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" sound

guitar.mod

Quote from: ItsGiusto on July 17, 2018, 12:47:24 PM
Nah, I haven't solved the issue yet. I'll upload a video of it tonight so you can hear it yourself, but it sounds like a very loud "HSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" sound
O.k. I'll be waiting for video.
But it seems that there is loose contact in GND or near input.

ItsGiusto

Sorry, I've been busy the past couple of days! But actually I plugged my board (including fuzz) into a different amp yesterday (18 watt) in a different room, and it sounded a lot better! I think it's possible that I either had the gain and volume on so loud that it was really hissy, or the other room has more RFI, or just the pedal works better with my Marshall 18 watt than it does with my 5f1 (which I was testing with before). I'll post here again if I think something is wrong, but for now, I think I was being too alarmist!