A B Box Signal Amplification

Started by Nobisayzhoi, July 15, 2018, 11:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobisayzhoi

Hello, I am trying to make a box that with take the input from a guitar, and split it into two output signals. The reason that this is different than an a/b switch, is that there will be no switch on it, I just want a signal splitter. I am making this post because I know that if I wire the box like how I put it in the schematic I attached, the signal strength will be split in half, just like the signal itself. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the signal split while keeping the strength. Thank You!

GibsonGM

Hi Nobi, welcome!

This JFET-based splitter would work for you, and there are also simple designs using opamps that are easy, too...you will find them using a search engine.  Pretty much any buffer will be able to drive amp or effect inputs.   This could be done passively, but I prefer to use an active device to, as you say, keep the signal strength.   Good luck!

http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PRR

> if I wire the box like how I put it in the schematic I attached, the signal strength will be split in half, just like the signal itself.

That is not inevitable. Consider your wall power outlets. With one lamp you get 115V (or 230V if that's your flavor). With two lamps or 10 lamps you may get 114.9V (229.8V), which is a "little less" not "half".

Yes, wall-power comes from a monster generator and guitar signal comes from thin strings and small coils. Multiple loads may cause "significantly less" signal, especially in the highs. Generally your amp(s) have some reserve of gain and treb-boost and you can compensate. But if a plain Y-cable is "not good enough", splitters are a thing.
  • SUPPORTER

slashandburn

Ive built the AMZ Splitter (that Mike already posted the link to) from the layout on Tagboard Effects.  Works great!