good sounding preamp/eq circuit to put inside a guitar?

Started by Marcos - Munky, July 17, 2018, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

I'm thinking on putting a preamp or eq circuit inside one of my guitars, but there's too many circuits out there! Any suggestions?

JustinFun

I built this into a humbucker loaded partscaster:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/bajaman002/BAJAMusicManSabre2Guitarpreamp.png

Nice cheap and easy build and sounds good. Not huge sound change, just a bit 'more' of everything and more eq flexibility.

Mark Hammer

Do you want someting that is simply "on" when you plug the cable in, or are you looking for something with controls?  Do you want it to be the default electronics of the guitar or do you want to be able to bypass it?

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: JustinFun on July 18, 2018, 04:41:01 AM
I built this into a humbucker loaded partscaster:
That's one of my options. I don't know if I can get the IC, but I remember a few people just used a common opamp - with an increase in current drain, but that's not a problem.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 18, 2018, 08:08:50 AM
Do you want someting that is simply "on" when you plug the cable in, or are you looking for something with controls?  Do you want it to be the default electronics of the guitar or do you want to be able to bypass it?
Didn't thought too much on this things. Let's say I don't mind to drill a few holes on the pickguard if I have to, and don't mind if I can't bypass it.

vigilante397

Definitely go with an Alembic F-2B and just change the battery every hour or so :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Marcos - Munky

amptramp

A Tillman preamp is a good addition because it is simple.  Furthermore, if you put the drain resistor, battery/power supply, coupling capacitor, bypass capacitor and ground-referenced resistor R4 in an external enclosure, you only need the FET and two resistors, R1 and R2 inside the guitar itself.

The output impedance of this amplifier is approximately R3, the drain resistor.  People have actually built this circuit into the cable itself so you don't have to modify the guitar.  R1, R2 and the FET can fit inside the jack shield if you do it that way.

You may have a tone control on the guitar itself, ao I would either use that or use an eq stompbox.  Adding preamp circuitry is easy.  Adding controls and knobs to a guitar is more difficult.

Mark Hammer

Another question: what are you planning on installing it into?

Marcos - Munky

I heard good things on the Tillman preamp. The creator itself built it inside a cable.

Mark, it's a cheap guitar with 2 single coils, and the guitar itself is something similar to a strato. A amz mini booster will probably sounds great with those single coils.