Special Input Sign in Schematic

Started by Nobisayzhoi, July 18, 2018, 11:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobisayzhoi

On most pedal schematics I see, they write the input like this. Could someone tell me what this means and what to do because I am confused.

duck_arse

that is a schematic representation of a tip/ring/sleeve jack socket. the box connected to the striped ground symbol is the sleeve, always ground. the other two "dingers" are the metal spring-fingers that push against the ring and tip of a stereo jack plug, when inserted. [I'm not 100% on the convention as to which is tip and which is ring in isolation - the rest of the circuit usually clarifies.]

if a mono jack plug is inserted, it will short the ring dinger to the sleeve, which is sometimes useful.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

italianguy63

Quote from: duck_arse on July 18, 2018, 11:54:31 AM
that is a schematic representation of a tip/ring/sleeve jack socket. the box connected to the striped ground symbol is the sleeve, always ground. the other two "dingers" are the metal spring-fingers that push against the ring and tip of a stereo jack plug, when inserted. [I'm not 100% on the convention as to which is tip and which is ring in isolation - the rest of the circuit usually clarifies.]

if a mono jack plug is inserted, it will short the ring dinger to the sleeve, which is sometimes useful.

The "ring" is the contact closer to the square box (ground).

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

ElectricDruid

+1 agree. It's a stereo jack, and the connections working left-to-right are sleeve, ring, tip.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: PRR on July 18, 2018, 06:45:13 PM

Paul, you always impress me with your graphical skills (mostly the speed at which you find or create the perfect image).  Sometimes a picture is the best answer.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

PRR

> mostly the speed at which you find or create the perfect image

Timeline:
July 18, 2018, 11:26:54 AM
July 18, 2018, 06:45:13 PM

7 hours sweating over wet oil paint, scanning, compositing pixels one by one....  no, 1 minute in Google (few clear pics of jack fingers) plus stealing the OP's image.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

One reason the symbol does not look like the part we buy is that we buy the cheap parts.

The whole plug system comes from Telephone Switchboards. Every phone in the city (or a large part of a city) came up in one room with a few operators. The jacks had to be *close together*.

Instead of the 2-bit "Littel-Jax" (not yet invented), telcos used "open frame" designs with the terminals way out back, "M-Jax" or "Navy Jacks", a buck a pop. An array of hundreds of these things is not too hard to wire (unlike a mass array of LittelJax which won't pack as dense). For one thing the boss and screw mount means they all face the SAME way and busing is practical. Also they were mounted on oak or phenolic panels and the sleeves were totally isolated.

The open frame allows mounting the contacts in stacks, which means you can stack additional fingers to switch additional circuits. Light an In-Use light *only* if the plug were inserted, so dead calls would be disconnected promptly.

As you can now see, the symbol "IS" the jack, except the ring finger rotated to the bottom for clearer clarity.

This became popular, but never cheap, so SwitchCraft's killer product was the 1/4" plug with simplified shape and the 2-bit panel jack with the contacts bent back toward the front. This does work better when you have few jacks in a small box, no long-frame eating interior space. (Some longframe jacks were deeper than some of your pedals are wide.)
  • SUPPORTER

merlinb

Quote from: Nobisayzhoi on July 18, 2018, 11:26:54 AM
Could someone tell me what this means and what to do because I am confused.