Fuzz Face Voltage sag...I need a reality check!

Started by vortex, July 18, 2018, 06:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

Not my first rodeo with Fuzz Faces, I have built quite a few over the years.

The Fuzz Face was the initial reason I got into pedal DIY a decade ago. Looking back, I can see why this deceptively simple circuit wasn't a instantly gratifying experience. Every detail counts...A great way to learn if you are stubborn or motivated...

Anyway, maybe I am just tired, or possibly I have just wired something incorrectly. I have double, triple checked of course.

I wired up an on/on DPDT switch to engage/bypass the "sag" circuit. One position connects the 9v+directly to the circuit, the other position routes the 9v through the sag pot and on to the circuit. Simple enough.

I measured the voltage on the Q2 Collector and verified that when the 'sag' is engaged I can adjust (lower) the voltage to collector and when DPDT switch is in bypass the expected 'unsagged' voltage is as expected.

What is surprising me is that when bypassing the 'sag' the signal level is noticeably quieter. It sounds like a full on FF, no problem there and sure, there is plenty of volume to compensate (not a unity vol issue), most people would call it good. As soon as I switch to 'sag' mode, there is more volume. I don't think it is a biasing issue either, I have all those parameters on variable resistors and can dial those in to compensate.

Have I missed something all this time? Do lower overall voltages raise the volume of a FF?

PRR

Do you have a bypass cap after the sag pot?

If not, then the sag pot is *also* extra load resistance which WILL raise gain, in this case more than the loss of gain at low voltages.
  • SUPPORTER

vortex

Wow, that was fast, thanks PRR.

I don't know why this happens... as soon as I cave and ask for assistance, things work themselves out or I gain new perspective on the situation. I tested things out again and everything works as expected...Yesterday and this morning 'sag' was definitely louder, now just fine...

I try to be meticulous and scientific in my approach but fallible to subjective interpretation...

Many thanks! (head slightly lower in shame...)