madbean stage fright phaser switch question

Started by ulysses, July 19, 2018, 01:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulysses

hey all ;)

was wondering if everyone else get a large bass drop on one of the two switch modes on the madbean stage fright phaser?

the only sub i made was a 5458 for the 5457 on the depth trim

cheers

Mark Hammer

Adding in a 6th allpass stage will change where the notches are situated.  That may result in more cancellation at the bass end.  Just a thought.

bean

What Mark said. You could modify the bass response by increasing C9 a bit - say 2n2, 2n7 or 3n3. Or, change the (last) fixed phase stage by doing the same to C10 (although that will change it some for both switch positions).

ElectricDruid

Did you put a wrong cap value in for one of the DC blockers? like 10n instead of 100n or something?

I've got caught like that before now - no bass, then I discover the expected 10Hz highpass is actually set at 1KHz because I picked a cap from the wrong compartment in my box of caps. Doh :icon_redface:

T.

ulysses

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 19, 2018, 08:48:33 AM
Adding in a 6th allpass stage will change where the notches are situated.  That may result in more cancellation at the bass end.  Just a thought.

yes i did expect 5 to 6 phase stages to have an effect, albiet a subtle one.

i have checked the components and they all seem right apart from the 5458 transistor.

there seems to me a marked bass shift on one of the modes -- more than expected.

was wondering if the switch is subtle or has a marked difference for others?

thanks

ulysses

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 19, 2018, 02:26:18 PM
Did you put a wrong cap value in for one of the DC blockers? like 10n instead of 100n or something?

I've got caught like that before now - no bass, then I discover the expected 10Hz highpass is actually set at 1KHz because I picked a cap from the wrong compartment in my box of caps. Doh :icon_redface:

T.

yes i checked the caps. all good. good idea though.

cheers

ulysses

so i solved this ahah -- a tiny blob of solder had fallen from my iron and lightly tacked itself between two contact points near the last opamp. flicked it off with my finger and it's all sweet.

just wanted to let anyone else know who read this that the circuit is good ;)

Mark Hammer

That's one of the reasons why I like to use something to remove all the solder flux from the board once I'm done stuffing it.  The shinyness of the flux makes it harder to spot things like that solder blob.  Plus using a nice stiff toothbrush to apply whatever flux-remover you use (I use methyl hydrate) can also pull such blobs loose.

But a nice happy ending.  Phase away! :icon_biggrin: