how do I test Veroboard? Big muff help!

Started by Davelebon, July 19, 2018, 09:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davelebon

So I have been wanting to destroy my work area because I cant get this diy big muff to work. I boxed it and I thought it would work and now I learned that you need to test it before you put it into the enclosure. My question is what is the best way to go about this. Should I just completely forget the enclosure and build it enclosureless? Then would I build another board to put into an enclosure or can I salvage the board. 

bluebunny

Don't nuke anything just yet!   :icon_eek:

When you're starting out, testing your build before you box it is probably a good idea.  (I never did...  Blasphemy!)  In the meantime, you should check out the "Debugging" sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum and follow it to the letter (you might want to un-box first).  And pictures of what you've done would be useful too: particularly top and bottom of your vero.

We'll get it sorted!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stringsthings

BMP's are great and usually not that difficult to troubleshoot.

The bunny and I are at the ready!  :D

vigilante397

Quote from: Davelebon on July 19, 2018, 09:10:39 PM
Should I just completely forget the enclosure and build it enclosureless? Then would I build another board to put into an enclosure or can I salvage the board?

What method are you using that absolutely requires an enclosure to build? You can always wire up a board outside of the enclosure. Connect the off-board parts, test it out, if it doesn't work debug it, if it does then you move the whole thing over to the enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

ElectricDruid

What they said. It's a bit of a pain, but take it out of the enclosure and get it on the bench for testing. You'll soon get it fixed, and then you'll be ready for it to go back in its box. There's lots of helpful people here and lots of experience with Big Muffs.

BTW, take it easy. Screw-ups happen (all the time, and regardless of experience or even skill to some degree!), and all you can do is accept it and move on and maybe learn something. Zen and the art of pedal maintenance?!

vigilante397

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 20, 2018, 02:03:37 PM
Screw-ups happen (all the time, and regardless of experience or even skill to some degree!)

HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEE +1 to that. I have a freaking degree in this stuff and I screw up all the time ::)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

PRR

> test it before you put it into the enclosure.

Say it was an engine. To fix anything major, you have to take the engine out of the car.

Say you build an engine. Should you test it before you put it in the car? It might not work. Be less trouble to find out before you put it in and take it out again. I know in the 1980s Olds ran engines on stands; I just assume Toyo-kia-onda run their engines before dropping them under hoods.

> Screw-ups happen

It has been said: professionals make as many mistakes as amateurs-- difference is pros understand and fix their mistakes faster and better. In house renno, this may mean taking the extra trip to check a board's fit before final finish, instead of trusting your plan and making a fully-finish board that won't fit.

"Amateurs practice as much as they have to. Pros never stop."
"What professionals know that the rest of us don't appreciate is that failure can teach you more than success ever will."
https://medium.com/the-mission/the-7-differences-between-professionals-and-amateurs-f8efc4840861

"Amateurs practice till they get it right; professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/08/29/get-it-right/

• SUPPORTER