suggest me a 1 knob build

Started by Marcos - Munky, August 02, 2018, 05:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

I have a 1590A enclosure I etched and drilled to build a 1 knob boost. The thing is I didn't tested the booster before doing the enclosure and, when I finally tested it, I didn't really liked it. Now I have to build something inside this enclosure.

Because of the artwork, I'm limited to one knob. But there's room for a spdt or 2.

I know there's plenty of 1 knob fuzzes around. But I prefer a non fuzz/dist/od build, or at least something that distorts to get another effect (octavers for example).

Any suggestions?

thermionix

Plexi

Take a look over the Electra's inspired ones, left a fixed/trimpot "gain" and place instead a master volume:
Lovepedal: JTM, Woodrow, Champ, Tchula, COT50.
EQD: Speaker Cranker

Clean boost:
Escobedo Duende / JHS Minibomb
LPB1
MXR Microamp
Zvex SHO
EQD Black Eye: modified SHO, crakle (gain) knob as trimpot and output/master knob

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Mark Hammer

I ask myself what sort of effect would I be content with only one parameter to vary, and the answer I get is vibrato, with speed being the control.

BetterOffShred

Green ringer and a boost to put it front of certain fuzzes is fun.

Meathead

Yeah any boost by itself is fun, provided you like or need boosts. 

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: thermionix on August 02, 2018, 06:43:53 PM
phase 90 or 45
I actually need a phaser. But matching fets scares me a little bit, cause they're pretty expensive here in Brazil and the local stores won't let me play around with parts to find a matched pair/quartet, so I'll have to buy a few and hope I can find a matched pair/quartet among them.

Quote from: Plexi on August 02, 2018, 06:55:06 PM
Take a look over the Electra's inspired ones, left a fixed/trimpot "gain" and place instead a master volume...

Clean boost...
I have built one of those Lovepedal Electra-based od (don't remember which one), and I must say it sounds pretty cool. I use mine with gain at full. Maybe I'll do another one, with switches for diodes.
As for the clean boosts, the one I didn't liked was a SHO-like. But I did googled that JHS Minibomb and it sounds great! I'll breadboard both versions of Tim Escobedo's Duende (jfet and mosfet) to see which one sounds better to my gear. Thanks for pointing me the Duende, I really didn't paid too much attention to it.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 02, 2018, 08:07:51 PM
I ask myself what sort of effect would I be content with only one parameter to vary, and the answer I get is vibrato, with speed being the control.
I don't have a vibrato on my pedalboard yet. Well, I do have a Magnavibe, which is a vibrato-like. Are there any non bbd based vibratos? I'm waiting for a pack of 3207s from China, but I know they're probably counterfeit...

Quote from: BetterOffShred on August 02, 2018, 09:46:37 PM
Green ringer and a boost to put it front of certain fuzzes is fun.

Meathead

Yeah any boost by itself is fun, provided you like or need boosts. 
Actually, I just made a layout for a green ringer yesterday :icon_mrgreen:. But since it doesn't have a pot, I can't build it on this enclosure :icon_frown: unless I find a mod that uses a pot or a switch. As for Meathead, I don't have any fuzz face based fuzz yet. I'll take a look on this one, thanks for suggesting me it.

mth5044

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 02, 2018, 06:55:06 PM

I don't have a vibrato on my pedalboard yet. Well, I do have a Magnavibe, which is a vibrato-like. Are there any non bbd based vibratos? I'm waiting for a pack of 3207s from China, but I know they're probably counterfeit...

The ROG trivibe does it quite well!!!

stringsthings

Have you decided on a build?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :D

Ben N

You didn't say how many switches--maybe you could fit a Mr. EQ in your 1590A.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Any of no_knob_at_all circuit with, at least, a single resistor..  :icon_wink:
(or any of too_many_knobs circuit with, all but one, pots relaced by resistors..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

Quote from: mth5044 on August 03, 2018, 12:44:32 AM
Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 02, 2018, 06:55:06 PM

If you can score one or two dual OTA chips, they don't require matching.

duck_arse

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 03, 2018, 12:23:26 AM
Quote from: thermionix on August 02, 2018, 06:43:53 PM
phase 90 or 45
I actually need a phaser. But matching fets scares me a little bit, cause they're pretty expensive here in Brazil and the local stores won't let me play around with parts to find a matched pair/quartet, so I'll have to buy a few and hope I can find a matched pair/quartet among them.

get the fets you have, measure them all per "the method", find the two closest matched - however far apart they are - and try them in a p45. do they work? do they sound good/ok/right/enough? if yes, then done.

Gus has published a circuit for a No Knob Lead Boost, build that and have a dummy knob.
don't make me draw another line.

suryabeep

Quote from: duck_arse on August 03, 2018, 11:19:35 AM
build that and have a dummy knob.

HAHAHA reminds me of when I drilled an extra hole in a 1790NS just to preserve the symmetry of the controls...I called the knob 'symmetry' and cracked up whenever someone messaged me saying 'woah dude what does symmetry do???'
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: mth5044 on August 03, 2018, 12:44:32 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 03, 2018, 10:52:27 AM
If you can score one or two dual OTA chips, they don't require matching.
Matt and Mark, actually the Tri Vibe it's the exact next board I'm gonna build! Are you guys reading my mind? :icon_lol: I was gonna build it in it's own enclosure, with full features (2 knobs and the switch). But I'll probably use the depth pot at max setting, so I can get rid of it and build it on this enclosure. It'll even match the artwork.

Quote from: Ben N on August 03, 2018, 06:21:03 AM
You didn't say how many switches--maybe you could fit a Mr. EQ in your 1590A.
Thanks for pointing me the Mr. EQ! This one is pretty cool. If it doesn't end up being build in this enclosure, I'll surely build it in the next board batch.

Quote from: antonis on August 03, 2018, 06:32:20 AM
Any of no_knob_at_all circuit with, at least, a single resistor..  :icon_wink:
(or any of too_many_knobs circuit with, all but one, pots relaced by resistors..)
Nah, not a good idea. If the circuit is one of those "do whatever you want, just don't mess with that resistor value or it'll explode", I'll probably use a pot instead of the resistor :icon_lol:. Or in a too many knobs circuit, I'll probably fix the most useful ones and use a pot for the most useless one :icon_lol:.

Quote from: stringsthings on August 03, 2018, 05:51:26 AM
Have you decided on a build?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :D
Didn't decided yet. I'm thinking about the Tri Vibe, Green Ringer, Mr. EQ, Meathead and Duende/Minibomb. I'll already do the Tri Vibe and Green Ringer, and the other 3 are interesting enough to be all in my next board batch. So I'll do all of them, and then decide which one will be on this enclosure (and of course the other ones will get their own enclosures :icon_lol:).

Marcos - Munky

get the fets you have, measure them all per "the method", find the two closest matched - however far apart they are - and try them in a p45. do they work? do they sound good/ok/right/enough? if yes, then done.
Nice idea. Since I have a good number of options for this specific enclosure, I'll probably pick one of them. But since I'm in a sorta "building the classics I didn't ever built", I'll probably do a p45/90, so I'll keep that in mind.

Gus has published a circuit for a No Knob Lead Boost, build that and have a dummy knob.
Quote from: suryabeep on August 03, 2018, 11:22:41 AM
HAHAHA reminds me of when I drilled an extra hole in a 1790NS just to preserve the symmetry of the controls...I called the knob 'symmetry' and cracked up whenever someone messaged me saying 'woah dude what does symmetry do???'
Lol that's funny :icon_lol:. I actually did something similar once. I built a pedal (can't remember what it was) on a big enclosure. It had 2 rows of 3 controls. The top row had 3 pots. For the bottom row, I had a pot and a toggle switch, was missing one control. So, to make it looks nice, I did a "pot-switch-pot" row. What does the last pot do? Nothing, it was a dummy one. It ended up as a gift for a friend, and when he asked me what that pot does I told him "it will only be noticeable in a few specific 4pots+swicth settings, so keep it cranked up and have fun" :icon_lol:.

marcelomd

A variable power supply? 9-12-18V with a switch?

thermionix

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 03, 2018, 11:36:44 AM
Quote from: suryabeep on August 03, 2018, 11:22:41 AM
Lol that's funny :icon_lol:. I actually did something similar once. I built a pedal (can't remember what it was) on a big enclosure. It had 2 rows of 3 controls. The top row had 3 pots. For the bottom row, I had a pot and a toggle switch, was missing one control. So, to make it looks nice, I did a "pot-switch-pot" row. What does the last pot do? Nothing, it was a dummy one. It ended up as a gift for a friend, and when he asked me what that pot does I told him "it will only be noticeable in a few specific 4pots+swicth settings, so keep it cranked up and have fun" :icon_lol:.

Connect the lugs of your dummy pot to 3 toes of a chicken foot, and you'll have a real-life mojo control.

pinkjimiphoton

well, ya didn't want fuzz per se, but you may like a phuzz, too

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Plexi

Quote from: Plexi on August 02, 2018, 06:55:06 PM
Take a look over the Electra's inspired ones, left a fixed/trimpot "gain" and place instead a master volume...

Clean boost...
I have built one of those Lovepedal Electra-based od (don't remember which one), and I must say it sounds pretty cool. I use mine with gain at full. Maybe I'll do another one, with switches for diodes.
As for the clean boosts, the one I didn't liked was a SHO-like. But I did googled that JHS Minibomb and it sounds great! I'll breadboard both versions of Tim Escobedo's Duende (jfet and mosfet) to see which one sounds better to my gear. Thanks for pointing me the Duende, I really didn't paid too much attention to it.
[/quote]

The Jfet version Duende is one of my favorites clean boosts, with the LPB1.
You can get some little extra "punch" from it, without lost clarity.

And... it's really simple!

I forgot to mention: some treeble booster?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: marcelomd on August 03, 2018, 12:23:03 PM
A variable power supply? 9-12-18V with a switch?
I just got a new power supply. But I was thinking of doing a 1590A regulated power supply before I got my new one.

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 03, 2018, 06:09:06 PM
well, ya didn't want fuzz per se, but you may like a phuzz, too
Hey Jimi, I was actually expection you to suggest me one of your fuzzes. And wow, I really loved this one! So simple, yet so great sounding! I pm'ed you a few questions on this one.

Quote from: Plexi on August 03, 2018, 07:08:11 PM
I forgot to mention: some treeble booster?
To tell the truth, I never built a treble booster before :icon_eek:. Any suggestions?