Engineers Thumb Redux Troubleshooting

Started by suryabeep, August 03, 2018, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suryabeep

Hi everyone!
I built an ET Redux by jonny.reckless. I get no sound when strumming strings lightly, only a very loud crackle if I strum hard.
I haven't found any solder bridges on the board itself so far.
While I was writing volatges on the schematic, I noticed I had messed up big time on the High-gain clipper stage of the gate...if I fix that, will the whole thing work? I've never had to troubleshoot anything this big before  :-[
The scheamtic is attached below, with voltages written in green next to the appropriate pins. (I made the image really HD so you can zoom in to see the numbers more clearly)
Note: I'm using a 2n3906 flipped 180 degrees in place of the BC556

Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

merlinb

Hard to read the tiny numbers, but it looks like you're claiming 9.57 volts on the gate of the input JFET?!  There is a ground symbol missing on the diagram; have you grounded the input components (R4, R6, LED1 & 2)?

Have you socketed the ICs? You could start by removing the LM13700 and just getting the main audio path working (comp ratio control will behave as a gain control)

suryabeep

I grounded the Input components and added the resistor+cap in series to ground from the gate op amp. Still no sound :(
As Jonny pointed out on the other thread I seem to have quite a few other issues going as well so I think I'm just going to scrap this one and start fresh. Thanks for your help though!
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

Slowpoke101

Just quickly before you scrap this unit. You are not supplying +9V DC to IC2 or IC5. You actually have 1uF capacitors going to +9V and then connecting the other end of these capacitors to the positive power pins of the ICs. So disconnect the end of the capacitors going to the power pins and then reattach these legs to 0V (GND). Now run a wire from the other end of the capacitors that goes to +9V and connect the other end of the wire to the power pins of the ICs.
This should get rid of the weird negative voltages that you are getting all over the place. I note that you have dealt with the missing 0V (GND) on the JFET input stage. Good luck.
  • SUPPORTER