2pdt bypassed signal drops a lot!

Started by Diego A, August 05, 2018, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego A

HI!

I´m building a treble booster for a friend and it works great, he wanted it in a small box so i had to change the 3pdt switch that i had in mind for a smaller 2pdt in order to fit everything in the case.
  The problem is that when the switch is on, the pedal works fine but in bypass mode the volume drops to almost dissapear!

Is there a problem with my wiring, the switch or i have to change a resistor somewhere?

I hope anyone can help me, thanks in advance.

This is the wiring i´m using

anotherjim

I'd suspect a partial short circuit, maybe on the output side of the pedal. It could be the effect has strong enough output to overcome the short but the bypassed guitar alone cannot. I'd check the jack sockets and my cables first.

duck_arse

if your switch was overheated during soldering [depends on type], a lug may have shifted in the housing, making internal connections not quite reach. this can cause havoc, or work perfectly - sometimes.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Aph

Try adding a wire to your switch like this (red line):

OR like this (not both):

Maybe just one of those switch connections is funky. If they're both funky, you're out of luck.

Marcos - Munky

Or maybe it could be a cold solder. It happened to me once, I was soldering a cable using low quality solder and because of a cold solder I got a resistance big enough I didn't got a beep when I tested the cable for continuity with a multimeter.

Put the switch in bypass and check for continuity between the middle pin of each side (the poles). If you get no continuity, that means the problem is at one of the pins connected by the jumper.

Diego A

I change the switch for a new one and check all the solders. When i tested the cables i got no beeps when bypassed in both sides and all beeps when the switch was on. I got the wrong wiring then?

Marcos - Munky

It could be. Post pictures of your build, it helps.

Diego A

OK, here´s a picture! ins in green, outs in orange.

Marcos - Munky

Looks like everything it's in their places. Still got a volume drop?

Diego A

Yes, still the same. I saw other wirings in a few websites, maybe i should try some of them?