Switching System

Started by Nobisayzhoi, August 05, 2018, 12:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobisayzhoi

Hi, I want to make a system A-B-C-D switch with LED indication, but in a special way. I want to have 4 switches where when I press one it switches to A and turn what ever was selected before off, then the same thing with B, C, and D. Can anybody tell me what to do, or give me a schematic.

R.G.

If I understand what you want, it's called a "radio button" control - you push one switch and the thing you pushed comes on, the others turn off. This used to be done with an array of switches that are mechanically linked so that pushing in on one switch first releases them all, leaving your finger (or foot) holding the one you want, and completing the push motion latches in that one switch.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any arrangement of just switches that does this action.

There is an implementation of this with multipole relays that I saw once, but it's tricky to set up and relies on subtle interactions of the relays. It has to be re-tinkered for each batch of relays.

One implementation is in my article entitled "Programmable FX Switcher With Amp Controls" at geofex.com.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fxswitchr/fxswitchr.htm
The article is about much more than the radio button control, but the circuit that does the one-and-only-one switching is shown in illustration 7. It's one of the neatest bits of hard logic that I've seen. This circuit relies on a hard-to-find IC, but there are other chips that can be pressed into service. It does only the control signal, leaving one of the outputs on for each switch contact, and you'd have to then run a relay or switch IC from each output.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Groovenut

You've got to love obsolete technology.....