help with love pedal jubilee

Started by whomeno, August 05, 2018, 11:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whomeno

built from this site https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2018/02/lovepedal-jubilee.html?showComment=1533464104093#c8452949375347719527.
built to specs.
. bypass works as it should. when pedal is on weird noise from it no input sound at all. checked all solder joints. checked for jump overs on board. ic volt useing power pack output 11.30
ic  lm386
pin 1 1.64
2 0
3 0
4 0
5 4.54
6 11.30
7 5.66
8 1.64
pin 1 is d 5 hole 4
Please help this one is driveing me nuts.
Gear as of now
Gibson 2017 Les Paul Tribute T
Epiphone Les paul Special (upgraded)
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
2 X 12 Cabinet with celestion vintage 30 & celestion G12T-75
And a lot of pedals

Marcos - Munky

Post pictures of your board, from both sides. Probably is something easy to fix, like an solder bridge.

From your voltages, I'd bet there's a solder bridge connection pins 2 and 3 of the 386. Pin 2 should be at 0V, but pin 3 shouldn't be 0V, that's why I guessed a solder bridge is connecting those pins. So your problem is probably at the input part of the circuit.

whomeno

can't post pics. checked for a bridge there is none. should there be power at pin 3 with no signal coming in from the input?
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

mth5044

How have you wired up your bypass switch? Is it possible you have accidentally grounded the effect input when you switch it on?

Not sure how you checked for bridges, but it's worth using a multimeter with a connectivity setting, or using a resistance setting, and see if there is any connection between pins 2 and 3, or between the two strips of copper they are soldered to.

whomeno

That is how I checked it with multimeter and under a magnifiying glass also
stomp switch is wired correct
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

whomeno

mth5044

I found the problem. the in and out jacks are grounding the circuit out. If I pull both jacks out of the case it works fine.
Any suggestions on fixing this?
Thanks
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

whomeno

Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

bluebunny

Welcome.

Quote from: whomeno on August 05, 2018, 03:08:38 PM
can't post pics

I'm sure you can.  Hit reply and then use the "Add image to post" link.  It's right beneath the text box where you'll be typing.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

welcome, like they say. as we can't see what you've built, we have to guess. my guess is you've mis-identified the "tip" and "sleeve" connections of the jacks. when bypassed, the signal has good connection between the two, but when "in circuit", you are feeding ground [from the sleeve] to the circuit instead of signal [from the tip].
don't make me draw another line.

Marcos - Munky

whomeno

I am now getting some sound through but it has alot of feed back and clipping with all knobs off as soon as I raise any of them vol-tone drive it will knock your ears out. for some reason when i install jacks in case it gronds the circuit out. here are some pics

Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Tony Forestiere

Looks like the tip of your output jack (on the right in the first picture) is a tad close to the pot underneath it. When you insert your cable plug, it might be flexing, thus grounding the signal through the pot. I Dunno.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

whomeno

twisted jacks to make sure not hitting. the jacks are grounding out in the holes .
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Marcos - Munky

Looking at the first picture, that green wire is going to the sleeve of the left jack. It should go to the tip.

thermionix

^No, the darker green wire is connected to both sleeves, the lighter green wire is going to tip.  I see a couple other possibilities.  The left jack (top pic) could be grounding against the boss in the corner of the enclosure, maybe.  Second, the #3 lug of the (I think) volume pot has frayed strands, could be grounding out there.

But I think the #2 and #3 lugs of the volume pot are reversed.

whomeno

ok guys I ready to pull my hair out (I'm Bald). I was using mono jacks. as soon as i installed them nothing with pedal on. but bypass worked great. made myself a probe. tested it and every time i touched the case with the probe it worked good. so I used stereo jacks ground to sleve and input and out put to tip. now it works great with power on, but it keeps clipping at time for some reason. but now my bypass  has static in it. could the be a flaw in the design of the vero board?  more then likely not.
thanks for the help so far. I built the jacks mosfet booster on vero board had no problems at all
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

whomeno

i checked all pots nothing grounding out
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: thermionix on August 06, 2018, 09:28:03 PM
^No, the darker green wire is connected to both sleeves, the lighter green wire is going to tip.
Yeah you're right, after a triple-check I can see two green wires.

thermionix

Quote from: thermionix on August 06, 2018, 09:28:03 PM
But I think the #2 and #3 lugs of the volume pot are reversed.

Ignore this, apparently I was looking at your Drive pot, not Volume.  Hard to follow these circuits without a schematic.

whomeno

what a great day!!!!!!! pedal is fixed.Drive pot was shorting out under it. A little electrical tape and it works like a charm. Now on the my nyc big muff.
Thanks for all the help!!
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals