Aion Stratus clipping switch, do I need one still? First build.

Started by Fish_bone, July 24, 2018, 02:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish_bone

If I only use two holes out of the entire clipping section, D2(square hole) for audio in, and D9 square hole for audio out do I need to use the CLIP switch?

Based on my trace chasing, D2 is directly connected to the DRIVE knob and the D9 directly connected to the R7 which is connected to the TONE. So I am fairly certain I have completed the circuit by by passing the rest of the clipping section. Did I eliminate the switch by doing so?
This is my first time building a pedal....

GGBB

It would help if you posted a link to a schematic where D2, D9, R7, etc. mean something. There might be a few people who know this board, but few will have it memorized and the vast majority of us probably don't know it at all.
  • SUPPORTER

stringsthings

Quote from: Fish_bone on July 24, 2018, 02:42:16 PM

Based on my trace chasing, D2 is directly connected to the DRIVE knob and the D9 directly connected to the R7 which is connected to the TONE. So I am fairly certain I have completed the circuit by by passing the rest of the clipping section. Did I eliminate the switch by doing so?
This is my first time building a pedal....

Welcome to the DIY pedal scene!  Don't hesitate to post questions here.  There's plenty of us that like to help people with their builds.

I believe you are talking about the same node ( connection point ).  Use your Digital Multimeter  ( you need one ) set to the continuity function and that will tell
you everything you need to know.  The best troubleshooting tool you'll ever buy.  Even bargain DMM's are worth it, IMO. 

It appears to me that you have not yet eliminated the switch.

Quote from: Fish_bone on July 24, 2018, 02:42:16 PM
If I only use two holes out of the entire clipping section ... do I need to use the CLIP switch?

Hint: Find the nodes that connect to pins 6 and 7 of the IC.   Negative Feedback is the technical term for this part of the circuit, IIRC.

aion

The way you have it wired up, those two pads have continuity with each other, so the diodes won't have any effect.

The schematic is somewhat messy here due to the extra pads, but pull it up so you can follow - lug 2 of the clipping switch is connected directly to the negative input of the opamp (in this case, in a negative feedback loop configuration) so it can be thought of as the "endpoint" for the diodes. The "starting point" for the diodes would be any of those pads on the bottom row.

So if you move one of your wires (it doesn't matter which) to lug 2 of the clipping switch, it should work. You can use the external clipping diodes and the clipping switch will be fully bypassed.

Fish_bone

I would like to apologize for not providing a link/ schematic.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for working out my issue. I will correct my wiring as soon as I can, I have been tied up with work and a new dog. When I get this done, can I post another picture to ensure I did it right? It wouldn't be such a big deal if I could test this board myself...but I have a buddy across town who plays and our schedules conflict a bit. So you can see why it behooves me to have it right the next time I go over to his place. I am not sure if anyone cares, but I am working to correct this issue as well, by building a cigar box guitar! Thanks again to ya'll for helping out.