Optical trem schematic - grounding LFO in bypass question

Started by nocentelli, August 08, 2018, 07:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocentelli

I'm just about to build an optical tremelo as shown below (it's adapted from deadastronaut's Tremshifter circuit which uses a Tremulus Lune-type circuit):

<see image in post below>

I chose the deadastronaut schematic because I wanted the enclosure-mounted indicator LED to show the LFO rate as well as on/off status, and deadastronaut does this quite neatly by using the output of the LFO before the depth pot so you get to see the waveshape (square/triangle-ish/sine-ish) as well as the rate, but with the benefit that it doesn't go dim at lower depths. It took a bit of experimenting to get the appropriate LEDs for the indicator and vactrol to give the broadest range of depths (also by tweaking that 3k6 resistor value), but was worth it.

However now I come to the bypass wiring, i find that grounding the indicator LED anode in bypass seems to work fine with no ticking, but i was unsure about whether grounding an opamp's output (albeit through a 1k resistor) was in any way a potential problem. I've heard that some opamps are not happy driving a capacitor direct to ground: Is a low-ish value resistor a problem?
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

bluebunny

Can't see your picture.   :-\   First, it's a "tinyurl" URL and doesn't end with a recognisable image file extension.  The IMG tags require this.  Second, it's a link to the other place, which won't work from here, and even if you go looking manually, you need to have a login at the other place and be logged in.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

nocentelli

OK, finally managed to upload it to photobucket:

PRR

> unsure about whether grounding an opamp's output

The opamp will not be harmed. It IS dumping big chunks of current into common, which is probably a poor idea.

I assume this switch is like the others; 2-throw? So it really is like the top plan in my drawing?

Don't put out the lights by shorting the power, break the circuit. Use the other throw of the switch.

• SUPPORTER

nocentelli

Thanks Paul, it seems obvious now: I think I was hung up on using ground to switch the LED due to my habit of also using the switched ground on the FX input too.