I want to learn and need info!

Started by ReeceAblaze, August 08, 2018, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReeceAblaze

Hello everyone I am new here. My name is Reece and after putting together a pedalboard I have decided I want to learn to build my own effects.

The problem is I don`t know what i need to learn in order to acheive this or where to start. Does anybody here have any good resources to learn what I need?

Thanks, Reece
Fuzz is all you need!

EBK

Welcone, Reece!
Wow, that's a big, broad question you are asking.  I'd suggest starting by clicking on the DIY FAQ link near the top of the page and reading through that information.  It may give you new questions to ask, but it may also answer a bunch of questions that you didn't know you had.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

suryabeep

Welcome!
Well, to build effects you're going to need: A soldering iron, resistors, capacitors, in/out jacks, battery clips, dc jacks, footswitches, an assortment of transistors/ICs, and a lot of patience.
I'd recommend buying 1/4W 1% tolerance resistor kits off Amazon, and similar kits for Capacitors (go for >25V rated) and transistors.
mammothelectronics.com is good for switches and i/o jacks. After comparing to almost every site out there I found that they have the best prices on those specific hardware pieces.
taydaelectronics.com is good for enclosures and basically everything else you might come across. I personally use them because prices are super cheap and quality is always good.
If you want to learn the theory behind electronics, search up 'resources for theory' or something along those lines. I had posted a question asking for the same sort of resources a while back and you might find the responses in that thread useful.
Good luck, and have fun!
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: suryabeep on August 08, 2018, 11:55:56 AM
Welcome!
Well, to build effects you're going to need: A soldering iron, resistors, capacitors, in/out jacks, battery clips, dc jacks, footswitches, an assortment of transistors/ICs, and a lot of patience.
I'd recommend buying 1/4W 1% tolerance resistor kits off Amazon, and similar kits for Capacitors (go for >25V rated) and transistors.
mammothelectronics.com is good for switches and i/o jacks. After comparing to almost every site out there I found that they have the best prices on those specific hardware pieces.
taydaelectronics.com is good for enclosures and basically everything else you might come across. I personally use them because prices are super cheap and quality is always good.
If you want to learn the theory behind electronics, search up 'resources for theory' or something along those lines. I had posted a question asking for the same sort of resources a while back and you might find the responses in that thread useful.
Good luck, and have fun!

Thank you the info on where to buy things and what i need will come in handy. I currently have a Soldering Iron and will try to find resources how you suggested :)
Fuzz is all you need!

ReeceAblaze

EBK the DIY FAQ doesn`t go anywhere
Fuzz is all you need!

EBK

Quote from: ReeceAblaze on August 08, 2018, 12:01:19 PM
Very odd.
I don't know if this is the most up to date version, but:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/FAQ.html

Also, look at the GEO FAQ.  That link does work.
  • SUPPORTER

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: EBK on August 08, 2018, 12:05:58 PM
Quote from: ReeceAblaze on August 08, 2018, 12:01:19 PM
Very odd.
I don't know if this is the most up to date version, but:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/FAQ.html

Also, look at the GEO FAQ.  That link does work.

Thanks so much I will hopefully be back in a few weeks or so with a build !
Fuzz is all you need!

Marcos - Munky

Welcome, Reece!

Here's a cool 1st build sugestion: http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html. Use V2 as a reference. Actually this one was my first build, back in 2002. Low parts count, cool sound.

Along with the FAQs, I suggest you to learn how to make a pcb. The most common building boards are pcb, veroboard and stripboard. Some people prefer one, other people prefer other. I prefer pcbs. Just search for "tone transfer" and "pcb etching" on youtube , lots of tutorials over there.

Do you know how to solder?

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 08, 2018, 12:24:49 PM
Welcome, Reece!

Here's a cool 1st build sugestion: http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html. Use V2 as a reference. Actually this one was my first build, back in 2002. Low parts count, cool sound.

Along with the FAQs, I suggest you to learn how to make a pcb. The most common building boards are pcb, veroboard and stripboard. Some people prefer one, other people prefer other. I prefer pcbs. Just search for "tone transfer" and "pcb etching" on youtube , lots of tutorials over there.

Do you know how to solder?

I will take a look at that first build thanks!
Also I don`t will take a look at those other things on youtube  :)
And no I don`t know how to solder.
Fuzz is all you need!

GibsonGM

Welcome Reese!

Don't forget to get a breadboard, for temporarily making circuits and playing with them before you commit them to a PCB.   I build on single-hole perfboard myself, I find it is fast and easy to obtain, and helped me to learn circuit layout when I was new...but tastes sure vary, so be sure to try a few different build methods!

Learn Ohm's Law inside and out, back and forward, and in your sleep...   ;) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 08, 2018, 12:47:28 PM
Welcome Reese!

Don't forget to get a breadboard, for temporarily making circuits and playing with them before you commit them to a PCB.   I build on single-hole perfboard myself, I find it is fast and easy to obtain, and helped me to learn circuit layout when I was new...but tastes sure vary, so be sure to try a few different build methods!

I sure will :) and I see BIG MUFF PI in your signature :)
Fuzz is all you need!

MaxPower

If you want to learn the theory (how to bias transistors, op amps, etc.) I recommend Electronic Principles and Transistor Circuit Approximations (both by Malvino).
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

EBK

Quote from: ReeceAblaze on August 08, 2018, 12:43:13 PM
And no I don`t know how to solder.
Here is a very friendly and informative guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering.  One of the reasons I like to recommend this guide is their picture of common soldering problems:

• SUPPORTER

Kipper4

I recommend you read
Electronic engineering 101
There's a pdf version somewhere online.
And welcome to the mad house.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: Kipper4 on August 08, 2018, 01:28:23 PM
I recommend you read
And welcome to the mad house.

Im gonna take a look at all resources mentioned and thank you all I feel welcomed :)
Fuzz is all you need!

bloxstompboxes

Well let me welcome you some more. I certainly agree with what has already been stated. A simple circuit to try might be the electra disortion or silicon fuzz face. R.G.'s Geo website has information on the fuzz face that is very informative.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on August 08, 2018, 01:41:38 PM
Well let me welcome you some more. I certainly agree with what has already been stated. A simple circuit to try might be the electra disortion or silicon fuzz face. R.G.'s Geo website has information on the fuzz face that is very informative.

More to look at wonderful I am gonna be going over all help given in the next few days :) Thanks .
Fuzz is all you need!

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: Kipper4 on August 08, 2018, 01:28:23 PM

I could not find this pdf?
Fuzz is all you need!

Slowpoke101

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 08, 2018, 12:47:28 PM

I know you already said you will, but I want to further emphasize this ;D Huge huge deal that will save you a lot of trouble if you learn it early and learn it well.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com