I want to learn and need info!

Started by ReeceAblaze, August 08, 2018, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmian

Joncaster

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 08, 2018, 12:47:28 PM
Don't forget to get a breadboard, for temporarily making circuits and playing with them before you commit them to a PCB.

Don't do what I did and get the smallest breadboard I could find...although the small ones have come in handy.
I have one big enough now for two small projects at a time.
Also, next time i shop for breadboard stuff, i'll get some of those premade link wires, it's pretty irritating having to strip and twist a wire to link something and the wire gets all squished after a while.
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

ReeceAblaze

Fuzz is all you need!

Bishop Vogue

When I just started out I learned a TON from Chromesphere's youtube channel.  It's an excellent resource - highly recommended. Happy building!

Mark Hammer

Since you want to know how to build your own effects, a great deal of what you will need to learn falls under the heading of "troubleshooting".

Even those of us with decades of building experience put things together that do NOT work when we first power them up.  We may not post frantic questions here, but that doesn't mean we aren't busily tracing down the source of non-functioning on our own, grumbling quietly, at home.  Stuffing boards is easy, but making them work properly is harder.

So, in that spirit, I will recommend buying yourself one or two cheap commercial pedals, that use through-hole components, not surface mount, and have available schematics, and learn by doing mods. 

Why?  When we look at research on people who are "experts" in any field, one of the things that stands out is their capacity to separate information into what does and doesn't matter.  I suggest beginning with mods because it will allow you to know "It's not that" because you began with a working pedal.  That doesn't mean the scope of any problems you encounter will be easily pin-pointed, but the range of possibilities will be much narrower, and that will help you to draw clear inferences.

Once you have some successful mods down, THEN it will be time to take on one of the many simply DIY projects around.  Here, I will put in a plug for a loop selector.  It will end up being something that will remain useful, does not rely on your "taste", and is a 99% mechanical box that has no uncertainties about component selection, pinouts, etc.  It's the "little black dress" of pedals.