Deluxe Memory Man LFO Mods

Started by Zwachi, August 14, 2018, 04:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zwachi

I got myself a Op-Electronics Deluxe Delay kit which I will start to build the next view days.
There's a Chorus/Vibrato switch like on any other Memory Man Deluxe Delay LFOs but with center off position.

The manual says:
"VIBRATO/CHORUS: This is a 3-positions switch, it sets between two types of lfo waveforms for modulation section. When centered the modulation is off."

I've never tried it or have seen that disconnecting the cap from the integrator would switch off the modulation. Is that really the effect of it? How does a delay without LFO/Modulatuon sound like?
I don't really see the need for the cap switch because there's already the speed pot that should archive the same rates when turned..

Wouldn't a squarewave/triangle switch make more sense?
Thanks for help!

Ben N

a) Do you have a schematic you can post? It's very hard to address your question without one.
b) Delays don't have to have an LFO.
  • SUPPORTER

Mr. Lime

Hi and thanks for the answer!

Hoops, the upload seemed to go wrong.
The complete schematic can be found here: http://www.op-electronics.com/en/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=190

Thanks for help

Mark Hammer

What I find interesting here is that the designer/s have recognized that vibrato needs faster speeds than chorus or flanging.  The toggle for the LFO does not change the nature of the LFO waveform, but simply changes the speed range so that it is bumped upwards for vibrato mode.

In human perception, noticing change requires that such change be substantial enough to BE noticeable.  We accept this reality when it comes to things like pot taper, where non-linear change is often built in, such that changes in volume (audio-taper pots used) or LFO speed (anti-log taper preferred) anticipate and adjust to those requirements.

When the target dimension is pitch-change (vibrato), rate of change has to be swift enough for small variations in pitch to be perceived.  If the amount of pitch-change was allowed to be large - roller-coaster sized up and down swoops - the LFO rate could be permitted to be slow.  But if the amount of pitch change is constrained to be comparable to what the human voice or finger vibrato might do, then the speed range has to be faster to be perceptible.  By dropping the cap value, vibrato mode shifts the speed range appropriately.  At least in theory.  I haven't actually heard the unit, so I can't say how well they nailed it.  But they're in the ball park.