Soldering Woes... solved!

Started by Bishop Vogue, August 12, 2018, 01:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop Vogue

Another day, another bungle.  I think it's my purpose to screw up and then report so it doesn't happen to anyone else.  :-\ Recently I've been going through soldering tips way too fast.  Like three in a month.  My soldering work has gotten worse after about three years of practice.  I was going nuts wondering what I was doing wrong.  Then I realized that the common denominator was the solder I'm using. 

I'd spent 30 bucks on a a smallish role so I thought it must be decent stuff (Jinhu B-1 60/40 multi rosin core) but as soon as I went back to using my old stuff the difference in the quality of my work shot way, way up.  If anyone out there feels like they just can't get the knack of soldering, or if you are going through tips quickly, keep my bungle in mind and switch to a different solder; it might be the solution to your problem.

And don't buy Jinhu.

italianguy63

Kester 60/40 .031" is my "go to" stuff.

PN# 24-6040-0027

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

R.G.

For a soldering "secret weapon", get yourself a bottle of liquid rosin flux. When soldering PCBs, swipe the pads (or the whole board) with a dampened cotton swab or bit of paper towel. When just soldering part leads together, dip a toothpick in the liquid flux and touch it to the wires after you form them together. You'll be amazed at the difference.

The normal rules apply, of course: get the parts to be soldered shiny clean before trying to solder, use an appropriate size/wattage of iron, run the iron at 600F-700F on the tip, etc.

And don't use lead-free solders. These are really only usable in a well controlled industrial setting. They need higher heat, better cleaning, more and possibly different fluxes, and higher skills using the iron. They CAN be used for hand soldering, but just because it's possible doesn't mean it's good or reliable.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

I like the eutectic (lowest melting point) alloy which is 63/37 tin/lead.  When the joint cools it freezes quickly.  Other alloys have a plastic state between liquid and solid that they go through where everything must be held motionless or the joint will go open or at least be unreliable.

duck_arse

I recently splurged all of 2$ o a set of brushes like these:

specifically for the brass one, in the middle. I've been astounded by the change in my soldering tip since using it, after the tip first heats, before making any joints - the solder wets the tip super-shiny, seems to want to leap onto the hot tip and stays shiny for a good long while. better heat transfer, better joints, AND two other brushes to boot.
don't make me draw another line.

Kipper4

I've stopped using a wet sponge ( I always use tepid water) as much.
I now favour a dry dish scourer. You know the ones made of coarse wire wool.
Then again I don't really have a solder tip problem.......hmmm.

True that too a decent solder can make the experience more fun.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Bishop Vogue

Hey Duck,

Where did you get those brushes?  I assume at $2 they are not specifically meant for a soldering iron.

duck_arse

I got them from "the 2$ shop", discount world or some dumb name. I bought some from the local hardware store [now gorn] a few years ago [Eagle brand, from china], and I posted the picture from Bunnings [the hardware barn], so they should be everywhere, pretty much.

highwater

I got mine at the grocery store. I forget if they were in the cleaning supply section or with the pots and pans. I've also seen bigger ones intended for cleaning barbecue grilles.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

italianguy63

I have a set too.. I have had them awhile.  I am pretty sure I got them at Harbor Freight.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

thermionix

Brass or bronze?  Cuz there's both.

amptramp

I have the same set from Princess Auto which is the Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight, right down to the blue and yellow packaging.

moid

Quote from: duck_arse on August 13, 2018, 10:53:10 AM
I recently splurged all of 2$ o a set of brushes like these:

specifically for the brass one, in the middle. I've been astounded by the change in my soldering tip since using it, after the tip first heats, before making any joints - the solder wets the tip super-shiny, seems to want to leap onto the hot tip and stays shiny for a good long while. better heat transfer, better joints, AND two other brushes to boot.

Don't sell that Duck! He knows clever stuff :) I just bought myself the nearest equivalent I could find in Dunelm Mill (a Cooker / Hob brush) and it does indeed clean up the soldering iron tip really well and the iron holds solder that stays shiny! One small query - is rubbing the tip this way damaging it and shortening it's life? I thought I read somewhere that soldering iron tips were plated with a metal that you shouldn't try to remove if possible... I may have misunderstood this.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

J0K3RX

Straying from the original post slightly..

I don't realy have any issues with using a standard tip when soldering SMD components... I usually add a bit of extra solder to the pads and jump back and forth until it comes loose.. But, it's nice to have rework tweezers or a slotted tip so you can just "mow the lawn" if needed.

I thought this looked like a damn good idea so I tried it, and it works! It worked surprisingly well in fact.

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

italianguy63

Quote from: J0K3RX on August 17, 2018, 10:11:39 AM
Straying from the original post slightly..

I don't realy have any issues with using a standard tip when soldering SMD components... I usually add a bit of extra solder to the pads and jump back and forth until it comes loose.. But, it's nice to have rework tweezers or a slotted tip so you can just "mow the lawn" if needed.

I thought this looked like a damn good idea so I tried it, and it works! It worked surprisingly well in fact.

Copper Thingys belong in the Burst Box thread, buddy!

;) ;D 8)

MC

duck_arse

who's selling ducks? I think it was MacGyver hizzelf that taught us that the brass bristles of that style wire brush are suitable for brushing the iron plated soldering tips we so favour. it does no damage to the plating, hence we see those brass shavings tip-cleaner scouring things in little round tins, too expensive for a splurge.

[edit :] I SHOULD NOTE: be careful with the brushing the hot tip, it WILL flick tiny tiny bits of hot hot HOT solder off the end. always brush away from you, with as short a stroke as you need. wearing eye protection might also be a good idea.

karbomusic

Quote from: R.G. on August 12, 2018, 03:12:14 PM
For a soldering "secret weapon", get yourself a bottle of liquid rosin flux. When soldering PCBs, swipe the pads (or the whole board) with a dampened cotton swab or bit of paper towel. When just soldering part leads together, dip a toothpick in the liquid flux and touch it to the wires after you form them together. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Figured out most of ^this by trial and error a few years back - especially the toothpick trick. I'm going to post my usual link to the Pace videos because there's too much good information there to miss - knowing what happens in a solder joint makes our understanding and execution much more reliable and successful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s&list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837

marcelomd

Hi,

I always used a piece of iron wool to clean the tip before the first use of the day. Won't hurt you tip if you are gentle. Cheaper, too.